Sunday, November 2, 2014

Further clinic memories



 

Other clinic memories – The recent posts I did on clinics I have attended has brought some other clinic memories to mind. One in particular involved the first time I saw Dr. Yang -Jwing Ming, who was a most skilled person.

 

I recall back in 1989 an friend teaching Robert Trias’ karate invited Maureen and I to attend a mini clinic in Methuen where among others Dr. Yang-Jwing Ming would be teaching a Chin-Na seminar. During the clinic my friend was working with my wife as a partner.  Dr. Yang was teaching a hand wrap technique. My friend was having some difficulty with the movement, as Dr. Yang  was going around helping people with the technique. Dr. Yang explained what my friend was doing wrong. He decided to show him what was happening and asked Maureen to place the hold on him.

 

As it turned out we already practiced the equivalent movement from our training in the aikido tradition of Tristan Sutrisno. My wife threw it perfectly. Dr. Yang with large reddish wrists developed from his Chin-Na practice, immediately dropped to his knees.

 

Now my friend later contracted with Dr. Yang to run several teaching groups in Southern New Hampshire, teaching Chin-Na and Yang Tai Chi Chaun for 9 months. Due to work I would not be home to attend. My wife, however, was impressed with Dr. Yang-Jwing Ming and decided to attend the classes.

 

When the first class was held she entered my friends dojo and Dr. Yang was her come in. He immediately ran to the other side of the room explaining, it’s her.

 

Unfortunately when my wife came home from the Chin-Na classes, she would ask me to grab her, to allow her to practice. I got to experience the pain of finger Chin-Na well.

 

A more interesting experience was beheld by my wife. People have a hard time listening to the instructor. Dr. Yang tried to tell people that the Chin-Na techniques had to be trained softly. There were two individuals from some other school there who choose to ignore him. They would choose to practice most forcefully so no one seemed to enjoy working with them. No matter how many times Dr. Yang would admonish them, they would not listen. Finally one time they were working together, trying to go full force, they did injure each other.

 

Only you can decide to heed the instructor.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other clinic thoughts can be found at: 

No comments: