Monday, August 24, 2015

The Karate Kid - a personal memory





The Karate Kid a personal memory

 

One day my neighbor in Scranton, Fred Meurty, a Senior Judo-ka came up to me and told me he was approached to contact all of the local martial arts schools to invite the youth training, to attend a private showing of the new movie “The Karate Kid”. I had no idea what it was about, but knew Fred was a Good person and thought the kids would enjoy it.

  

When the Saturday arrived it was for a 1pm show. We entered as a group and sat together. The kids were entranced with the movie. When it was done they were cheering, and I was too.

  

I had started watching martial arts movies since the early 70’s and had seen nothing like it. Ok, the karate wasn’t that hot, and the lack of contact rules for a youth tournament was impossible in real life. But the premise that this what karate was for was superb. Among the best stories ever made.

 
 

But leaving the theater with the kids I was teaching that day, I know it would never be better.

 
 

A rarity.  following movie was even better, not the karate, but the story.

 



 

 

 

No comments: