Friday, June 15, 2018

A unique exercise in Multiple Striking

The striking I had learned in my Isshinryu karate was pretty standard, and most effective.

 

However when I first encountered a drill in multiple striking techniques I knew immediately I had to have it, made notes and practiced it and taught it forever.

 

Multiple striking is a training tool where one technique flows into another. The techniques are not exotic in themselves. But the potential of the training, IMO, is something else.

 

After a while I realized I had seen something similar in the Chinese training I was undergoing. Got out my notes, and yet another set of drills to use.

 

Then I remembered my original instructor, Tom Lewis, using something a variation from the  Isshinryu upper body chart that could be classified the same way.  First meeting with Sherman Harrill he too did something that could work the same way. Eventually I opened my eyes and found other examples in my Isshinryu, which required me to realize what was happening within that multiple striking paradigm.

 

Slowly I accumulated other examples, from other systems and from other instructors.  Each of them earned a place in the advanced training on use of multiple striking I taught.

 

The original drill I learned back in 1979 was from a Shotokan variation. This drill I show below is from an Indonesian Silat system.

 

All of the techniques shown are in karate too. What is being showed in how the movements can flow from technique to technique.

 

This is of course a drill. It is not suggesting you need to use all of it for a defense. But a way to build flow skill for technique use.

 King Caenap (Silat)

 
 
I discuss the concept of multiple striking on further blog posts.



No comments: