Saturday, September 22, 2018

Obsolesence


 
Honesty about my disability and remaining movement potential requires a degree of self comprehension.  We all face eventual obsolescence, but how we face it is what is important,

 

The need to remain training does not allow you to set aside what you have worked on for so long.

 

A realistic assessment of my current abilities.

 

My technique still works but only in the immediate range.

My general weakness affecting my voice does not make shouting for help possible.

My general weakness also extends to everything I can do.

My instability, as well as the lack of fine motor control places extreme limits on what I can do.

Not being able to more well, I cannot well close into an attack nor can I well retreat from an attack. Similarly I can’t angle from at attack. All of which place limits on my potential response.

 

I can use surprise that I can do many other things as a way to surprise a foe.

I must use every force multiplier available to me to make what I do become effective.

 

I continue to work on a variety of my kata studies daily, varying them to keep my potential responses wider.

 

For example this is what I did this morning:

 

            The first section of my Yang Tai Chi Chaun, done with 2 short sticks.

            Naifanchi kata variations

            Chinto kata

            Seisan kata done with 2 short sticks.

            I also work a range of mawashi uke/uchi variations for the empty hand.

 

I vary kata from day to day, the wider range of forms I work on permit a wider range of possible answers for me to use.

 

My weapon studies, as a vast force multiplier, are restricted to very short stick, short stick,

anything I can put my hands on, knife as well as empty hand, I do not anticipate what will be on hand in conditions extremis.

 

Continuing to work on my kata is important to continue to build ability to move around.

 

I also work on Yang Tai Chi Chaun Sword, Single kama drills just to keep pushing myself, not that I expect those studies to be useful in defense.

 

I do walk with my walker. It is very lightweight, folds quickly and can be swung allowing an unexpected response against an attacker.

 

I have no illusion that when responding, I will remain on my feet. That would not mean I would not respond.

 

How we prepare for our condition shows what we have accomplished,  It is up to use to control our lives regardless of our circumstances.

 

 



 

 

No comments: