Friday, February 12, 2021

On finding Out what you Really Need to Learn as an Instructor

 



When I began teaching karate in 1969,  it was not so easy for me. Really not ready and a relatively new Shodan,  I was teaching exactly how I had been most recently taught, as a brown belt.  I was too intense for my students at the Scranton Boys Club, and except for my original 3 students, the Blackwell brothers who had also trained under my instructor Charles Murray, my other new students left by the end of 3 months.

 

 

Lucky for me my wife was a Physical Education instructor, her specialty was in coaching girls swim teams.

 

 

She patiently explained how I needed to listen or hear what my students were actually telling me and how to adjust the training to what I was seeing.

 

 

She then showed me her college texts on coaching girls swim teams.


Reality check, the college texts from the 1960's about how to coach a Jr High Girls Swim Team, my wife studied in college, are still more complete than most karate texts I have read. She studied those texts back in the 1960s's. Just saying.

 

Those Jr. High Girls Swim Team textbooks had a great deal of relevant knowledge for the students of coaching. Not just swimming techniques. They included coaching knowledge from across the country being shared to help everyone so trained to succeed. Not just tips of one coaching style. They addressed best nutritional practices, anatomy and physiology for the swimmer student,  approaches to teaching and coaching the student.

 

 

While the standard karate text addresses the technical requirements of the style, rarely are the other issues considered.

 

 

The difference is the sharing of information for everyone’s benefit that the college system utilizes to develop coaches.

 

 

IMO much karate writing could benefit if such things were shared and addressed.

 

 

So I got a new group of students at the Scranton Boys Club, applied what she showed me to teaching karate to kids, it worked out and that is how I moved forward.

 

And I learned a lesson, one that each student teaches the instructor. For my next 40+ years I kept learning from students.


 

 


No comments: