Sunday, May 23, 2021

Analysis of Kata Starting and Ending Points

 

I found this diagram on the internet, it is not intended to be exactly what I taught.


All the recent discussion on the potential of kata starting and stopping on the same spot gives me pause to consider how and why I teach.

 

In all of my studies none of my instructors ever really discussed that as an important focus of training. I have read about such in some systems, but until I found similar claims made about the Isshinryu kata several years ago I never took the time to consider it an aspect of kata training.

 

[ Disclaimer 1 - As an aside, I have no problem with anyone maintaining their instructors traditions about this, either way. But as the Isshinryu black belt manual I received when I received my sho-dan has absolutely no rules about how to conduct myself over the decades, I’m choosing to consider what I feel is the best practice for my students and the instructors I train.  And of course the same hand book has no rules about anything, or even any pages. In that I guess I’m firmly rooted in the older Okinawan traditions, even though I’ve only practiced in the States.Just a joke of course for I never received such a manual.

 

My look at Isshinryu’s kata, except for our Naihanchi (Nihanchi/Naifhanchi), all of the rest conclude rather close to the starting point. One could categorize it as being the same point.  Of course there are those kata which don’t stop there. Foremost in my mind is the Tomari Rohai Kata, shared by a friend quite a while ago, as the kata continually moves forward, there is no opportunity to end up in the same place. And with all of the discussion about the ending of Goju kata, not being a Goju expert by far, I just finished watching some Goju championship kata from the 2003 championships in Japan, and for Seisan, Kurunfua and Supreinpe there were considerable differences from the champions ending points to their starting points.  Of course that isn’t proof of the real intent of those kata, but seeing a thing helps answer some questions, IMO>

 

I think the larger issue isn’t whether an instructor taught one to stop at a certain point or not. Lets make the issue neutral, instead of stopping at the same point, let’s just say the issue is whether one should teach kata to stop at a specified point, exactly, in order to determine the quality of the performance. Thus whichever means one performs a kata isn’t bound by one rule, rather just define your system’s specific stopping point in relation to the starting point.

 

So is this a good standard to teach to?

 

Should the student feel the reward for stopping on the correct spot?  Does making a final adjustment step to end there count, or does only perfect performance of every movement be the goal? Does missing that point mean the practice is useless, or lessened from one hitting that point?

 

Those are good questions to consider.

 


I believe my instructors never discussed the stopping point because almost all of the training was individual, or in very small groups. They worked on awareness of each individual technique, and if each technique was right, you’ll get to the correct ending, so why worry about the spot.

 

In fact that is my own approach. I’m most interested in correcting a mistake or error immediately (regardless of the student’s length of training), not waiting till they’ve finished and then working backwards to discover why.  The goal is to develop their continual awareness of their performance, so they are in command throughout kata performance. If they keep their awareness alive, and their technique execution in total control, their ending will be correct.

 

[ Disclaimer 2 – Of course correct kata practice is only one aspect of long term training in my book. At some point one would begin changing the length of various movements, learning how that effects performance, and working on the application potential such changes represent.  Working on fitting these techniques (large scale and micro) into various attacking patterns suggests these alternate performances. Then working on meta study, how to set an attacker up so their attack is ready for the kata application, is yet another layer of study, and so on.]

 

On the other hand, as karate became a large group activity, I can see how use of a closing point could make it easier on the instructor to see if the group gets there or not.

 

I have problems with large group study, however.  It is too easy for members to look like they’re working within the group, and coast instead of explode.  Often too easy to make a mistake and see where the group is and then correct to get back into line. It may serve group order, but I don’t believe that serves the students development.

 

There are times and places for group practice, but I believe it should be very controlled when it is used. But as karate moved from its small group origins, other tools were developed.

 

So perhaps the point of where to close a kata may have been highlighted, for convenience.

 

In my book precise kata performance is an extremely useful energy development tool at all stages of karate study. That the tool has other potentials does not diminish ones need to work on perfect practice either. It just suggests how much depth there may be in our training.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note - I once worked out that as I practiced and taught my kata in Isshinryu for the most part the kata started and stopped in the same place. But I never taught that.

One time I noticed my senior students were stopping Wansu at a place well before they began. First they were doing very good kata performances, their techniques would work... but it still was not how I taught them  I should explain that at the decreases progress with them I more just did the kata with them, not so much giving corrections.

So I wanted to point out what I was seeing.


1. First I did the kata in front of them, on a wrestling mat in the club (from the wrestling use) and I did the kata starting in the spot marked with two lines on the floor. I believe the kata in question was Wansu.  And as I performed Wansu I started and stopped on the same spot. Then I challenged them to do the same.


2. As it turned out, while performing very good kata, their execution ended up well in front of where they started.


Then I explained the difference.


When I did my kicks I chambered my leg (knee up first ) then delivered my kick returning to the kick chamber position. Finally I put my foot down exactly one step before my original position each time I kicked.


Ont the other hand when they kicked they just dropped their kick to the floor, several steps before when they began. While a very effective kick it was not what they were originally taught. So a different result.


Of course the fault of the kata creep was I, for I had not paid attention to their changes.


But it makes a point how even slight changes changes kata performance, and offers different use of the technique.


No comments: