Wednesday, April 17, 2024

The Candle Burns

 

 


I was a white or yellow belt when just prior to the end of class a number of black belts showed up at class to rehearse for an upcoming demonstration they were to perform.

After a while one of them took a board with clay attached to the center, then stuck a candle into the clay and set it afire. Mr Lewis warmed up and then struck towards the candle, His punch put the flame out and the candle remained standing on the board.

How he did this was not taught in class. I only saw him do it the one time, never again. Such skill was never discussed with anyone.

Years later after becoming an instructor I developed my sense of distance to where I could throw a full speed backfist at a students and stop my fist exactly on their face or body without causing them injury.

It certainly get my students attention, getting them to listen to me more intently (the youth students..)

That skill also applied to my crescent kicks. I could kick someone lacing my kicking foot immediately on someone's face without impacting them.

Of course striking towards or kicking towards a stationary student is quite different from striking towards someone moving into you rapidly to grab or strike you.

A brief aside:

I remember one time when Dr. Harper moved into attack me faster than I expected. When that occurred I reacted without thought and used a section of kata I had never explored its application potential.  I really never felt it was very important. However almost immediately I responded using that kata section. Before I realized it that movement struck him in the face. Doc was not to happy about that. I certainly made an impression.

Later thinking about it, i realized a new training opportunity, just using the kata when someone rapidly attacks. Quite different from the normal (yet still useful training tool) of working a kata section against a standard training attack, where the opponent strikes and stops moving as you continue your response.

Return to the topic:


I was able to strike like that for decades during class. Unfortunately age occurs and one day while delivering that strike I stopped in striking my student (very lightly). That was never my intention.

After that time I ceased attempting to strike the same way before my students. I felt it was a sign that I was aging.

Looking back at this, I however now suspect it may have been a sign that my current disabilities were developing. I never expected that might have been the cause. This occurred about a decade prior to the time my current disabilities developed.

But I still remember Mr. Lewis' skill striking.


 

 

No comments: