Thursday, September 19, 2019

Hard Men and Nails



The way I heard about this was at one time Tatsuo Shimabuku used to drive nails into boards with his bare hand.

Then at one demo he missed and the nail ripped open the back of his hand, so he just rubbed dirt on the hand and continued his demo.


I remember hearing about it from Mr Mitchum too, but as he told it that is what stopped Tatsuo from ever doing that stunt ever again.


I of course was not there and just repeating what I heard


When I left Derry and Moved to Scranton in 1976 the available training was in Tang Soo Do.
 

The instructor had  a stunt he would also do, I saw him practice it.


He would use the side of his hand to drive a 16 penny nail into a board.

Then take off his obi and lay it across the nail sticking out of the board

Then he would bite the obi covered nail with his teeth and then extract the nail with a bite pull.

 

I described that stunt to my dentist.

His opinion one time it would be the teeth that came out.

For there was no muscle surrounding the teeth 
and in time something had to give.

No comments: