Sunday, March 8, 2020

Miyagi style Seiunchin – and study in derivative variation

Seiunchin/Seienchin/Seiyunchin Kata and all other spellings.

  
Back in 1989 Joe Swift gave a French publication of Mabuni  Kenwa’s 1934 “GOSHIN KARATE KEMPO

Defense and Attack” and asked me to translate it for him. Interesting because he was and is a Japanese translator, but I had studied French for 7 years back in the 1960s. I work and worked some more and finally finished it for him. Some time later Patrick McCarthy learned I had done so and inquired if he could publish my translation. He did spif up the photos a bit then published it in his groups magazine. Then in time I made several more translations of French works for his use as he saw fit. I was never a member of his group,

 
The interesting thing is that book showed Sanchin and Seienchin Kata and the bunkai for Seienchin. Mabuni was a friend of Miyagi and incorporated the Goju kata in his Shito Ryu. To my knowledge this is the earliet documentation of these kata. I am adding that translation at the end.

 

GOJU-RYU SEIYUNCHIN KATA by MORIO HIGAONNA




 
    Bunkai  

 

Yagi Meitetsu, Hanshi 10th-dan, performing Seiunchin kata
 

Seiunchin Chinen Teruo st 5:00





 

Goshi Yamaguchi Goju-ryu Kata about 6:20 on the video
 


JKF Seiyunchin Kata

 

 

Seienchin _ Kata & Bunkai _ Shito Ryu Karate

 

 

Seiunchin Kata Shimabuku Tatsuo
 


 

Ezio Shimabuku Seiunchin (brother of Tatsuo) kata

 

 

Seiunchin Kata - 1 of 2 -Angi Uezu -Isshinryu

 
 

Seiunchin Isshin-ryu karate kata Uechi Tsuyoshi

 

 

 

Tom Lewis in the 1970s

 

 

Charles Murray 1980

 

 

Charles Murray

 

 

Young Lee Seiunchin 1989 
(This was the way Tom Lewis taught me in 1974)



 
Young Lee performing Seiunchin 2009

 

 
Victor Michael and I (performing an impromptu demonstration)

 

 
My translation of Mabuni's book:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 

More information about Goju Ryu can be found on my blog from another  translation effort. It is at :


 

No comments: