Thursday, July 9, 2020

A comment from Joe Swift about the charts he studied with Angi Uzeu


I have been committed to the Isshinryu of Tom Lewis since I began. Really never attempted to work with others is Isshinryu because I was never taught that was necessary. And for the most part what I taught was what I had learnt.
 

But when I joined the internet age I became aware of how many different Isshinryu answers there were out there. And when I formed a discussion group called Pleasant Isshinryu which only allowed polite discussion, were disagreement was permitted but only as long as it remained polite.

 
Now I only studied all of the arts I touched in English, and continued that tradition for my own students. I never had intention to travel to Okinawa, so as years passed and I looked at more and more karate history and its many systems. I learned well not to fall into the trap of using pretend Japanese to express my art.

 
A lot of that came from Joe Swift who patiently explained there was a vast difference between keri when used alone (kicking) and geri (when used alone it means diarrhea) but when used in compound does refer to kicks, such as mawashi-geri.
 

I began that group in 1990 and it continued for many years until Facebook took over discussion.

 
But  I saved many of those discussions for my files.



Rooting through files where Joe Swift made contributions to the discussion, I ran across this one from 1999, where Joe was engaging with a discussion with another member.

 
I more likely saved this for historical reference. But as Joe is a translator, author, had a school in Tokyo and knows virtually everyone in the arts in Japan and Okinawa, along with other most interesting professions.

 
Perhaps you will find this interesting.

 

The terms that I have been taught by Uezu Sensei and his student Uechi Sensei (both of whom, I might add, have used me as an interpreter when I go to train with them in Okinawa) are as follows. The translations may or may not be what is common in the Isshinryu community, but they are how I personally would render them in English.”

 

Upper Body Exercises : Te no Bu

 


 

1.     Chudan Oi-tsuki           (middle level lunging punch)

2.     Jodan Oi-tsuki              (upper level lunging punch)

3.     Chudan Gayku-tsuki   (upper level reverse punch)

4.     Jodan Gyaku-tsuki                (upper lever reverse punch)

5.     Gedan-barai Chudan tsuki (Lower level sweeping “block” middle level punch)

6.     Chudan-uke Chudan-tsuki (middle level ‘block” middle level punch)

7.     Chudan Tegata-barai Chudan Nuki-tsuki (middle level open hand sweeping  ”block ‘: middle level piercing thrust)

8.     Jodan Tegata-barai Jodan Tsuki (upper level open hand sweeping “block” upper level punch)

9.     Jodan-uke Jodan-tsuki                   (upper level “block” upper level punch)

10.    Chudan Ura-uchi Chudan tsuki    (middle level backfist strike, middle level punch)

11.    Gedan-barai Renzoku-tsuki, Gokai        (lower level sweeping “block” continuous punches, five times);

12.     Chudan-uke Renzoku-tsuki, Gokai        (middle level sweeping “block” continuous punches , five times)

13.     Tegata no Tsukai-kata           (method of using knife hand)

14.      O-uchi                           (large strikes)

15.       Hiji no Ato-tsukai                   (using the elbow to the rear)

 

Basic Kicks

 

 

1.     Mae-geri              (front kick)

2.     Soba-geri             (near kick, i.e. 45 degree side kick

– also called Sokuto-geri                  (kick with the side edge of the foot)

3.     Soba-Kon-ate      (near heel smash)

4.     Yoko-geri             (side kick)

5.     Yoko Soba-geri   (near kick to the side)

6.     Otoshi-geri           (dropping kick)

7.     Mae Kon-ate       (heel smash to the front)

8.     Hiza-geri              (knee kick)

9.     Ushiro-geri           (back kick)

 

That concludes what Joe-san shared that day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sure miss visiting with Master Uezu.!!

Blessings to all.
chilly