Tuesday, May 10, 2022

On the passing of Dave Belsky


Ernest Rothrock

Victor just wanted to let you know that Dave Belsky passed away this morning. Thought you'd like to know.

 

When I began Tai Chi Chaun training with Ernest Rothrock as well as later many Chinese forms. Dave was his senior student and later bought the Wilkes-Barre Pa. School to become the head instructor.

 When training in Wilkes-Barre I saw Dave perform many times. And as the years passed we became friends. Then after leaving Scranton I often saw Dave with Ernie at Bushi No Te summer camps or at clinics Ernest held in the Wilkes-Barre school.

Cameras were not very available in those days, this is what I can find in my records.

 

In December on 1984 as  I was preparing to leave Scranton to move to Derry (at that time Ernest Rothrock had previously moved on Pittsburgh) Dave and Gay filmed many of my forms so I could remember them.

 

Dave Belsky and Gay Aston

We were fooling around as I was preparing to leave Scranton and paid a last visit to the Wilkes-Barre school.

 

 

 

They each did several to allow me a break. Dave performed the Pai Lum forms Supple Dragon and Pai Lum Kuen.

 


Supple Dragon


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdh2YvNqRIM

 

Pai Lum Kuen


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwb8FG2MD1A



While performing the short staff form Dave had taught me (after observing many students perform it over the years) Dave was not satisfied with my performance and did it for me.

 

Gay Aston is doing the commentary on Dave’s performance, tounge in cheek.


 


 

1985

Dave Belsky performing Chinese Staff v. Staff

With Ernest Rothrock

At the George Dillnan Martial Exhibition.

 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoLHCI6pT0w


 

Unfortunately these are the only photos and video’s

I can find of Dave.

When I knew him he was a true friend.

 

I have shared this with my senior students So they can also remember training with him when he visited Derry or at various summer camps we attended.

 

One of the sad realities of life is as time passes

We have to mark losing friends.

May Dave find peace on his journey.


 

Kung Fu and Karate Magazine have prepared the following tribute for Dave Belsky.

https://www.kungfunewsonline.com/belsky/


 



No comments: