Wednesday, January 31, 2024

The recent discussion on the charts makes me realize how much is left unsaid about our differing practices in Isshinryu.


From a now very past discussion.

 

Upper/Lower Body Chart - Agena Dojo 1972

My own practice goes back 30 years and the manner in which the charts are used in my program remains consistent in how Isshinryu was shared with me.  In fact, until I asked the question the other day, outside of realizing there were differing charts of techniques for the upper body and the lower body, I was unaware how others in Isshinryu approach them in training. In fact over my years, I keep discovering new items always before my nose, so close you don’t see they’re there.


From what people have posted on the Original Isshinryu list and on Pleasant Isshinryu its clear there are layers of answers that all fall under Isshinryu practice.  It seems to me the indisputable fact that Shimabuku Tatsuo used standard upper body and lower body charts his training, but the placement of their training in the various Isshinryu programs has varied. 


That does not mean the different answers are right or wrong. I believe for the most part all of us are working towards the same goal, excellence in technique and application in their Isshinryu. But I would suspect each is following the path of our seniors, and less than critical analysis has been applied to determine the optimal answer. Nor do I believe there should be one optimal answer.


I think Jim made a good point, just intense practice of any one aspect of our system won’t guarantee that progress will occur. 


For one thing I find it interesting that two individuals from the same crucible, Tom Lewis and Sherman Harrill, both training in Agena in the late 50’s early 60’s developed their transmission of Isshinryu in so very different ways, even to the usage of the Charts.


The charts of Tom Lewis

https://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-charts-upper-body-lower-body.html 


Charles Murray on the Chart changes under Tom Lewis

https://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2019/02/charles-on-charts-02-11-2004_22.html


Possible chart 1 changes for the black belt

https://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2019/04/for-dan-other-possibilities-for-chart-i.html


Charts of other instructors

https://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2023/03/upper-and-lower-body-chart.html


No comments: