Monday, February 19, 2024

Asai shared fighting principles similar to those of Tristan Sutrisno

 



When Tristan Sutrisno, then in Indonesia, began learning a set of Tjimande drills as his first trainings. He practiced them every day for the rest of his life.


When I began visiting his Hazleton, Pa. dojo in 1980 he then taught them to me and I have worked on them ever since.


So I was astonished decades later when I saw Asai using these techniques as the basis of what he was demonstrating in Japan. Extremely similar to the concepts I was taught. Asai had been a Shotokan stylist who then expanded on that training to develop his own system based on his ideas how movement could be utilized.


In time I realized these techniques could be found in the T'ai Chi Chaun drill known as Da Lu. even later realized all of them could also be applications for techniques found in the Isshinryu kata Chinto.


I an very sure none of these drills were influenced by the others. It is but an example how techniques from varied arts and using the same principles.


No comments: