Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Is is a bird.is it a plane... No, it is Superman

 

 


I just watched Superman (1978) onTCM, it brought back so many memories from those days

Specifically in January of 1979 I would be going up for my Sho Dan examination by the Isshinryu Karate Club of Tom Lewis.

On Friday night I drove from Scranton Pa, down to Delaware where Charlie Murray was waiting for me at his parents home. Of course I was pumped about what was to happen, so after dinner Charlie took me out to see a movie to relax. It was the 1978 Superman. We had a good time and I remember telling Charlie I know I could teach Superman how to form a better fist. Then we went back to his parents house to go to sleep.

Come Saturday morning he took me over to Lewis Sensei's dojo in Salisbury, Md. The entire IKC was there for  Mr. Howard Michum  (8th Dan) was there to give a Kyu and Dan clinics on Isshinryu.

My mind was so occupied with what was to happen later, I do not remember many of the details. I know Mitchum Sensei discussed many things he experienced on Okinawa.

When the Kyu clinic was finished and the Dans were taking a break before the Dan clinic, Charlie called me out to perform the kobudo kata that I had taught to my self  (actually he required me to do so from the Armstrong videos) mainly Chia Fa (as it was called on those movies). I know I did not make a mistake and finished the kata. Then I recall Sensei Mitchum told us he had not learned that form when he trained on Okinawa).  Sensei Lewis agreed saying that form had not been taught while he was on Okinawa.

After that the senior instructors went into Sensei Lewis' office to take a break. The remaining Dans were just milling around talking to each other.

Suddenly Sensei Reese Rigby approached me and asked "Victor, I would like you to kumite with my senior student", and of course I agreed. After all I had trained in Reese's dojo many times and he knew I went  there to learn how to fight better.

[ Note: during my training with Charles (who was a fantastic kumite performer ) I do not recall ever striking him even once, and whenever he choose he would rat-a-tat-tat on my body as will. Of course he disputes this today, but that is how I remember our constant kimite sessions.]

I only knew all my IKC seniors were watching and I would not back down.

We faced each other, Reese called hajamine, and I instantly tore into my opponent. Then again and again I struck him repeatedly. Literally I was on fire, the most focused I had ever been at that time.

Suddenly Charlie tore out of Sensei Lewis' office and stopped me from fighting. He said "Victor, what do you think you are doing you Sho Dan test is this evening." So I rei'ed out.

Eventually the 2nd clinic began for the Dans. Again I really do not recall what it was about.

When it concluded Charlie and I went to Sensei's house to change for Dinner.

Then we met the remaining Dans (all of whom would be at my examination later). I ordered a steak dinner, but while attempting to eat, one of them asked me "Do you really think it is a good idea to eat anything before your test." I do not think I ate much after that.

We returned on Sensei Lewis' house to Gi up.

Then I was blindfolded and led out to Sensei's car.

[What I later understood normally the individual being tested would never be told ahead of time they were to be tested. Such as when returning from a tournament getting back to the dojo, there they were led inside and tested, with no warning. Of course that was not possible in my case, I already knew I was to be tested.]  

So while blindfolded, I was just driven around for about a half hour.

Then the car stopped and I was led into the dojo and then led back to the men's changing room to be set down on a bench to wait......

Eventually I was told to stand and then led out into the dojo, to then stand before the dojo proper.

Suddenly the blindfold was removed and I found the dojo was blackened. Suddenly a brilliant spotlight shined into my eyes. It certainly was disruptive to me. I could barely make out the entire IKC dans were sitting on the far end of the dojo, including Charie, Lewis Sensei and Mitchum Sensei.

 

All of these members were on my Sho Dan examination panel.


I was told to demonstrate the Upper Body Combinationns.

Then one by one I was questioned by everyone there. The questions might be about anything, Isshinryu history, training or how I would respond in certain situations. I kept remembering that Charlie told me to never say I do not know.


I was told to demonstrate the Lower Body Combinations.
Of course that began another round of questions.
Then on and on the pattern followed.
Kata Seisan then more questions.
Kata Seiunchin then more questions.
Kata Nihanchi then more questions.
Kata Wansu then more questions.
Kata Chinto then more questions.
Kata Kusanku then more questions.
Kata Sunsu then more questions.
Finally I was told to take my gi top off and perform Kata Sanchin.
And of course more questions, about 3 rounds of them. The questions grew increasingly stranger.


While I had been taught Tokomeni No Ko, Urashie No Bo, Chantan Yara No Sai and Kusanku Sai, they did not ask to see my other kobudo kata, likely as they had seem my tonfa form previously that day.

Neither was I asked to participate in kumite. I guess they had seen enough earlier in the day.

It was now time for another section of the test. Of course it was challenging and totally unexpected. I will not say more as it was a private choice the IKC uses for Sho Dan testing.

At that point my Gi top was placed across my shoulders and I was led back to the men's changing room and told to sit down on the bench and wait.

After what seemed a very long time Charles came into the locker room and told me to come out. Then he led me to Sensei's office, It was filled with all who tested me.

Lewis Sensei then stood up from behind his desk, and with one hand extended his hand to shake my hand. With his other hand he held out my new Black Belt. He told me "Congratulations you passed, you are now a Sho Dan of the IKC."

I then in a daze had everyone approach me to shake my hand.

For some time we waited there and everyone talked.

Suddenly Mitchum Sensei spoke to everyone. He told us that was likely the best  black belt examination he ever participated in. He then informed us that Sensei Lewis was then being promoted to 7th dan in his organization, the UIKA. Everyone went wild for Sensei Lewis.

Later Sensei drove Charles and I back to his home.  There we changed and joined in the party for me.

A while later Charles drove me back to his parents house. I went to sleep in my bed there. Of course I placed my new Black Belt under my pillow, to enures good dreams.

The next day I would drive back to Scranton, Charlie was with me

He told me that was quite a test that I had. Then slyly he told me he thought of a good question for me, then he decided not to ask it.

So I asked me what the question was.


"Ok, consider you are in a jet at 30,000 feet. Suddenly the jet engines stop and the jet begins to crash. What good is your karate going to do then?"
"Simple, If the plane was crashing, a moment before the crash, I would jump out into the aisle and assume sanchi dachi. then I would punch out exactly at the moment of the crash, using my punch to neutralize the force of the crash."

Then I told Charlie he should have thought of a tougher question.


Postscript :

The reality was Charlie increased the tempo of my training after I received my black belt. It seemed like he was trying to pour everything he knew into me.

He went into detail about his training in Agena, especially how he   was trained in Isshinryu Chinkuchi by the Master's son, Shinso (I discovered his correct name years later, he called him Cecil, which is how he heard it).

Finally one day he began to teach me Bo Shi Shi No Kon No Dai. Then he dropped the boot on me. He had decided to return to the USAF for his career and almost immediately would be leaving for Officer Training and relocating to Florida. Our time together was to come to an end.

I realized how alone in Isshinryu I would be.  Almost as alone as those returning Marines who developed American Isshinryu. There was no other Isshinryu within driving range in my area.

On his last day in the Scranton area, I got him to come outside into his back yard and begin to teach me the rest of Shi Shi. Then a line of thundershowers would come in and he would go inside to continue to pack. I would remain outside in the rain to continue to practice.

Then the rain would stop and the sun again began to shine, When Charlie noticed I was still outside so he came back out and taught me some more. Then the next thundershower would come by and again he would go back inside to pack, and I stayed outside in the rain practicing.

This cycle repeated itself several more times.

Eventually I got the entire form from Charles, then he wished me success and said our goodby's to each other. I was crying as I left to drive home. He  had success in that he had taught me the entire Isshinryu system as he knew it at that time.

By day I was a mild mannered Banker. The nature of my job was such I was not to have close friends at work (it remained that way for life at each place I worked being the nature of my job.)

Likewise, as I was not from Scranton, I really had no friends there. I spent my evenings self training.

Outside of work I trained and trained, began to attend many karate tournaments and compete as a black belt. With no one to train me, eventually I began a youth program at the Scranton Boys Club in order to keep my Isshinryu alive.

I also began to train with other instructors in styles outside of Isshinryu. Not to learn those styles, but to have adults to train with.

In many senses I was a mild mannered man, of course also a husband.


But I learned that I could fly.

So look up in the air.
Is it a bird....is it a plane....
No it is Superman!


No comments: