Thursday, June 6, 2024

My guide for brown belts On Becoming a Sho-Dan

 The more I learned I worked to share those experiences in my student's training. That does prove difficult at times. I am not suggesting the way I shared my Isshinryu is better than others. Just that it is based on my experiences.

Among other issues was the realization that about 10 years after one began practicing a kata, the knees and stances would automatically relax, then the individuals center would then drop and every of those changes would increase the long term students power. That would continue for decades.

I am not suggesting Isshinryu is not valuable at every level, just this is what I have observed with my long term students.  It is also useless to explain this to kyu students, for they have not had enough time to really experience this. So appropriately I do not discuss this with kyu students for there is no real way to hurry this along.

Of course what I do is focus on their learning their Isshinryu and subsidiary kata studies. Isshinryu is the foremost focus. The subsidiary kata are somewhat secndary studies. I expect good clean performances yet they are both important and at the same time secondary.

Outside of solid performances for the student preparing for their sho dan examination, I am only looking for great execution for Seisan and Seiunchin kata.

Describing this in my Sho Dan handbook given to brown belts, I do so like this.

Remember only the student that chooses to go for the long haul will eventually get to the whole thing. And while they may reach Sho Dan, only they will choose to stay for the long study or to move on in their life.

I offer what I share with my Sho Dan candidates.


On Becoming a Sho-Dan



 



This might be a good time to talk about preparing for the Sho Dan examination.

The candidate has one main objective, that of becoming perfect in execution of Seisan kata and Seiuchin kata along with good performance of the rest. No mistakes are permitted in these two kata.

In summation they represent the forces developed in Isshinryu that the new candidate needs to address.

First in Seisan, the prevalence of motion driven by the crescent step. The crisp power in the ‘blocking’ motions. The different strikes in the opening movements, striking with the relaxed fist, as to those in the rest of the kata, striking with the harder tightened fist. The stepping kicking method and the body dropping side blocks are also seen. The parrying hand, the kick and descending punch , and finally the closing sequence done ‘old style’ as opposed to the rising hands in the youth version. Of course you may have yet to learn the changes.

Young Lee Seisan




Second are the forces developed through the correct performance of Seiuchin kata. The counterpoint from the slow, powerful tension movements, to the rapid precise movements. The kata helping you develop your power, you have to use great power in the form for this to happen. In fact I’m only beginning now to understand that power is generated through the correct tensing I was originally taught, you never stop learning.  Often this is used as a group kata, for the entire group to develop the correct power. It is true in time you will develop your own rhythm for the form, but this takes 15 or 20 years of work, there are no short  cuts for that.

Young Lee Seiuchin
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aupXGh3Q8c 


 


Victor Michael and I  Seiunchin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ekqGQl4ijU 


 


Young is performing Seiunchin kata exactly as Mr. Lewis taught it to me. This is the only way I practiced this for years.  I believe my performance with Victor Michael bears this out...


Yet only several years ago did I see Mr. Lewis performing a different version, which is also identical to the way Shimabuku Tatsuo did it. I was not taught this way.

Tom Lewis Seiuchin Kata
 http://youtu.be/E0hzko5iadU


  


Charles, when I trained with him, had me keep my kata from my Salisbury days training, unchanged.

Then I see this version (AJ Advincula using ‘chinkuchi’ with Seiuchin and it is very similar to what I had learned. I know this is explained in Mr. Lewis having seen  Shimabuku Sensei teaching different people differently, and at different times for his own reasons Mr. Lewis did so himself. Teacher follows teacher I guess.

AJA Seiuchin with Chinkuchi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Buu_m8NAiQ 




I’m not changing from what I was taught. At some point after Dan, a long time from now, you may make your own decisions.

This is the best I can do at this time, as I can’t verbalize this easily I’m using this way.

Do ask me if you have questions. I’m sure I will have more on this in the future.

Victor


No comments: