Friday, May 22, 2020

A Question Answered


 


After having Joe Swift’s book “The Essence of Naha-te” for 5 years again I worked out what a treasure it is to me. I have found whenever I purchase a great martial arts text, it takes me at least 5 years before I realize why it means so much to me.

 

It certainly has much more to do with me than the value of the text. I realize I had much more to learn over that 5 years to appreciate what was written.

 

What caught my eye was an autobiography of Yoshimura Jinzai and his description of the martial  education he received, first at the direction of his father, then what he received from the various instructors he  trained with.

 

I have long wondered at what martial education  on Okinawa was prior to 1900 and Joe’s translation give us such an account.

 

Not that this means it was the Okinawan standard, just what one young man experienced. I am just going to focus on the training revealed. For the rest of the story, well I will let Joe’s translation tell that.

 

His father directed he begin his studies from the family accountant Ishimine somewhere between 11 and 12 years of age. He studied Naifanchi and Passai kata. He admits he was dragged into the garden for classes. That training continued for 2 full years, but he also admitted he often wheedled his way out of training.

 

On reaching adulthood of age 17 he began his serious martial training. It was with Bushi Matsumara and was held at Nan’en. He traveled there 3 times a month with his older brother and another to receive training in Gojushiho and Kusanku kata. While there he also received sword training , Jingen ryu, from Ijuin  of Kagoshima.

 

When he was 22 or 23 he traveled to train with Hiagonna on the beach across from his house.  Later for a year on their estate in Shuri, Hiagonna traveled there to train him daily, in all weather , even on rainy and windy days.The training began at 6pm and continued untio 10pm, when Hiagonna would take a palanquin to travel home.  The training was on the basics of Sanchin and then Pechirin kata.



  Hiagonna referred to the art he was studying as Toudi.



Hiagonna Sensei admonished against “Jissen” or actual combat training.telling him “if you are going to fight, then fight with me.”

 

As a young man among his other studies, he began horsemanship at age 10, It seems to have been serious training and lasted for at least a decade.

 

He certainly studied much more to become a whole person.

 

I offer this brief summation as the only account I have seen on earlier Okinawan martial training.

 

Joe Swift deserves our thanks for translating this book.

This is but one of the treasures contained herein.
 

 

No comments: