Friday, May 8, 2020

Supplemental Kata studies before Seiunchin Kata

Softie that I am I wanted to give my students a break between
Seisan kata and Seiunchin kata.
 
So I decided to go Goju ryu this time.
 
When one of my students went to college and studied Goju Ryu
At Ithica College with Ed Savage,
I met and also trained with him several times.
 
He made the point that for them the order of kata
Placed Saifa kata before Seiunchin kata.
 
 
Remembering that I decided to use Saifa as our next supplemental kata.
 
But having trained with so many in Goju I no longer recall
Where this version came from.
 
But after decades teaching it I remain convinced I made  the right choice.
 
 
Saifa Young and Mike
 
 
 
Youth Performance of Saifa
 
 
 
After all I am not teaching Goju
Just using the form as a supplemental tool
Allowing my students to gain some understanding of Goju.
 
Then we follow with the Isshinryu Seiunchin kata.
 
 
Young Lee Seiunchin1989  
 
 
 
Michael and dad Seiunchin kata
 
 
Kata Seiunchin Young Lee
 
 

No comments: