Wednesday, May 13, 2020

The King's Speech



 
 
A bit of irony today, for I just re-watched “the King’s Speech” on Netflix. It was about how King George VI dealt with his speech disability. The movie is simply brilliant.


The irony begins back when I was in college.  I was a speech major. The department at Temple University had two undergraduate specialties In Speech. Rhetoric and Public Address and Speech Science dealing with treating speech disabilities. Each major studied a bit of the other.

My interest was on the Rhetoric and Public Speaking side of the business, about 5 undergraduates out of 30,000 students. The department was mostly a graduate school. Personally I became more involved with linguistic philosophy as I went on.

Roll forward decades and when the movie came out about 2010,
I understood  what was happening with the King.

Then roll forward again about 2013, I developed several disabilities. One of them was a general weakening of my musculature, even to my facial muscles. Making correct formation of speech most improbable including most unintelligible on the phone.

I had speech therapy for a while but my condition did not improve. I understood what was being tried, essentially my thoughts moved about 5 or so times faster than my speech. And trying to catch up made my words unclear.

To be understood I know I had to speak so slowly and appear that I was different than what my brain was doing.

But I was retired, and because of my other disabilities not around many. So I wasn’t speaking much daily. Makes it difficult to work on clearer speech in any case.

But that is me, it does not make the movie less brilliant. The King worked and eventually was able to overcome his difficulty.

It inspires me to work harder at speaking.

 



 

No comments: