Thursday, March 21, 2024

Know That Which Is Unseeable



When I began my Isshinryu Karate studies it was not for self-defense, it was not for physical fitness, it was not to learn kata or kobudo. I started my karate studies just to do it. I knew those who studied karate, it seemed interesting. I had no idea that the different styles were studying differently. I had no idea that Okinawan karate was quite different from Japanese karate.


Now after so many years, training with so many individuals whose arts came from so many different countries, I see what I understand is that Karate (Bushi No Te Isshinryu) is just that, not defined by pieces, rather a whole art.


With so many different locations where karate is taught in the USA, each location faces a quite different need for its karate. 


I have lived in locations that were far less dangerous, not free from unexpected dangers, yet on the whole most calm. Had I lived in different locations I am sure those locations would have had a very different effect on how I came to teach my karate.


But +100 years ago, Ti (Te,Toudi) was a working art The training was to prepare one to enter their adult role as a working member to their family. Then when completing that opening training, they would be indoctrinated into their adult role in the family. Which I am sure called for more training in that role. We know almost nothing about that training, as that was not written but shared personally by family members performing their roles.  Certainly, awareness was developed but it was not strictly for self-defense.


Today many karate programs in the US state they teach self-defense, a sub-set of their art, but is what they are teaching really preparing their students for realistic self-defense?


I question this for in many cases time has kept changing (which is what time does after all.), As I follow today's news there are so many items I do not really as frequent in the past.


Increasing random shootings,   attacks with automobiles, attacks with mopeds, blindside sudden attacks, unavailable police presence in many cases and on and on.


There were suggestions from Okinawan masters that they shared situations where this was explored and used. Likewise, many of them taught their students at night making their students more and more aware of what might be needed.


One possibility was found in my Kusanku kata, which explored how the techniques might be used in a low light environment.  Another was a program where one variation of all their kata was done for low level light use, or another variation where the use of all their kata, was for drunken movement potential (another non-standard usage). The Sutrisno system actually incorporated combat training at night.


But those were the very few that began to address the issue.


While we read in the Bubishi "The eye must see all sides and The ear must listen in all directions." How many programs are actually teaching their students to actually do that. I have only experienced one dojo where they trained with the defender blindfolded over their eyes. Attempting to actually learn how to function in such circumstances. (I never did that for my students.)


And that is only the partial understanding of what is needed.


To reasonably address the full issue, something I read in "The Secret Royal Martial Arts  of Ryukyu" by Matsuo Kanemori Sakon and translated by Joe Swift referenced The Three Secrets of Sakonryu. The 3rd is most appropriate for this discussion.


3.  Know that which is unseeable

Be aware of that which cannot be seen by the eyes, n other words, that which not expressed as a phenomenon. Just as there are Tatemae (facade) and Homne (true intentions) in the real world.

(1) In everyday life, one should strive to polish both one's intellect, emotion and volition as well as to see through to a person's true intentions. 

(2) In practice one should strive to polish the techniques of reading the opponent's posture and movement.

(3) In match do not allow your mind to stop at the movement of the opponent or oneself but react in accordance with the opponent's intentions.


Think on that a little but, I believe it covers what we need to ask whether out programs are addressing, then to ask how to develop such abilities.


The future is happening every day. Do you really prepare your students to fully meet it?




 


No comments: