Saturday, March 30, 2024

My Sanchin Kata Application Analysis

 


I would like to note this series that follows. with 7 parts, likely contains more material than you really want to know. If you have read my blog much you know how intensive I can be.  Do not attempt to grasp everything, I guarantee you will not be able to do so. I developed this over many decades of effort on just this.  Instead select one technique and work on it till you can really make it work. Then if you find that technique useful select another technique. DO NOT CONCERN YOURSELF IF YOU DON'T GET EVERYTING.  Each movement you gain is an improvement of 100% that you did not have before.

I began this back in 1987, I had moved to Derry, NH several years before and Tristan Sutrisno (he who first introduced me to the term 'Bunkai' years before, back when no one in any school who I knew used the term.) had brought his black belts to visit. We took a day to visit Boston martially. That evening we had many martial discussions.

He firmly stated that Sanchin kata was just to develop the bodyI disagreed strongly for I felt and stated that to me Sanchin kata was filled with technique to end an attack. He disagreed with me, and the discussion went back and forth. It was not settled between us. 

Then on Sunday morning he gave us a clinic outside on my driveway on the first level bunkai of Nijushiho Sho. That was a 1st degree study for his Sho-dans. for each kata there were 5 levels of Bunkai, each one would devastate an attacker. Each was taught at the appropriate dan level (of which his family system only had 5, enough for a lifetime of study. (I filmed that clinic)

Well that got me thinking, over the decades I worked this out, slowly of course.

I came to prove, that for me, Sanchin kata was a way to kick butt!

No comments: