Thursday, November 2, 2023

Further duscussion on my blog post - From Chinto to Aiki Jujutsu

 

https://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2016/12/from-chinto-to-aiki-jujutsu.html

From Chinto to Aiki Jujutsu

So I was taking a break about uses for the Chinto X block and decided to randomly look at a use of Atemi (shocking striking) in Aikijutsu

 

 


 

Top of Form 1

Feliphe Silva I had the pleasure of training Aikido with two great Sensei and I think there is many similarities between Aikido and Karate, mainly in the use of hands and footwork for defensive techniques. Also the nage-waza really remembers many techniques we found in different kata. And the kuzushi in Aikido is very intelligent and really works. I suggest that every karateka train Aikido for a while to know this amazing art. 

 

Isshinryukrungthep Seishinkan Nishio Sensei, who is depicted in the video photos was one of the post war greats in Aikido. He was 5 th Dan in karate and 6 th Dan in Judo. He incorporated many of those skills into his Aikido. Aikido in the Nishio Sensei tradition is very martial and very effective. I have had the opportunity to train and study under his top students in Japan for almost twenty years now. I have also studied and practiced Isshin Ryu for thirty two years; the martial principles are the same, just applied differently. There are many parallels between the two. Most of the skilled Aikido people I know in Japan, also have extensive backgrounds in karate and judo. Nishio Sensei taught Aikido is Budo and should martially effective, the same can be said of karate. Aikido that is not martially effective is not a Budo. Karate that is not martially effective is not Budo. Very interesting post , there are many parallels, good effective martial principles don’t change between various martial arts. Thank you for posting and your research Victor Donald Smith Sensei.

 

Victor Donald Smith I am not an Aikido Expert, I was allowed to participate in Sutrisno Family Training Drills, which incorporated various aikido principles to teach those principles and to instruct advancing students (green and brown belt) how to utilize the space surrounding an attack to apply those principles. As more information became available (books, magazines, internet, youtube) I discovered I understood more and more what Aikido offered.


Tristan Sutrisno’s father had been drafted into the Japanese Navy in the 1930’s a time when Indonesia was under Japanese control. As he was a doctor he attended the Naval War College and there trained with Funakoshi Ginchin, and studied Aikido with one of Usheiba’s students. Then Japan freed Indonesia , an attempt to look nicer to the world, and during the War was in the Indonesian resistance. Of course that is how the story was relayed to me.



Later his father started teaching the Karate he had studied. Bunkai (a different paradigm from normal use) was not studied until dan level and then a continuing study for life (That bunkai incorporated elements of karate, aikido and tjimande).

 


As I saw it the use of those aikido drills I learned was to prepare the advancing student for the greater Dan studies.



I chose to add those Aikido studies as mandatory yet subsidiary studies for my advancing students for much the same reason Sutrisno sensei used them.



He got into more extensive aikido studies for his students too.



I see aikido as using circular motion. The aikido principles I studied used very small circles, as when he applied those techniques some one punched and before the strike hit, they were face down into the ground, face up on the ground, projected away or locked into submission.



I have seen has aikido alongside an English Aikido-ka using much larger circles both were very effective. Just a difference in execution not in result


 

No comments: