Wednesday, November 1, 2023

More on The Upper Body Chart and the Hook Punch

 

The Upper Body Chart and the Hook Punch

https://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2023/04/the-upper-body-chart-and-hook-punch.html

My first night as a student in Salisbury the green belts I was assigned too covered Charts 1 and 2. This began my Isshinryu education. ...

 

I have some further thoughts on this post today.

When I put it together back in 2017 I was just focusing on the way I originally learned this chart drill, but now several new things come to mind.

 

Such as when I first saw Sherman Harrill apply the sidestepping double strike from Wansu kata. He stepped outside the right straight punch and hooked his right strike into the solar plexus as he left hooked punch into the opponents kidney. I had not thought of those strikes the same way.

 

Which then led to me considering the same for the two hooking strikes application from SunNuSu kata. Both are related to the chart drill I had learned. Just never before  in that way.

 

So receiving another answer opens newer doors.

 

Then today I was looking at Dr.Yang Ming-Jing’s Advanced Yang  Style T’ai Chi Chaun – Volume 2 martial applications. There in he shares several cavity strike options for the t’ai chi step up and box ears.

 

He shows the same movement we have been talking about in karate, could be used as

 

1) a double hooking strike into the eyes of the opponent,

2)A double hooking strike into the armpits of the opponent and 3) hooking strikes in to the opponent’s temples. Along with other optional suggestions.

 

One must keep seeking.

 

Well something ( a post ) of someone has got me curious on people's views. How many people train to get hit? How many train not to get hit or many train to dodge a hit and a counter? Does it work all of the time? I have never met anyone that trains to get hit. So I'm just curious on others. I'm sure many have seen the post that I'm meaning. But tell me what you think or believe is your personal best way of training and am I wrong about training not to get hit by sparring with a partner that throws a dead swing getting you getting use to duck or move side to side to avoid the impact of the hit.


I do believe that most are here to learn to be better and I have learned from many and I believe have made some friends.....thats always a plus.

 

Ed Sumner In Okinawan Goju Ryu, old school, there is a tremendous focus on "kote kitai," or body conditioning... arm beating, shin beating, thigh beating ab and chest beating... all will harden, all will toughen, all can get to the point where taking a punch won't hurt, and arms/shins in particular can become formidable weapons. What can NOT be conditioned in this way is the head. So that must be well protected. That said, in the course of training, one WILL get their bell rung from time to time. The first time you catch a hard punch to the face will be when you discover that it isn't as devastating as you'd feared it might be. Of course, if that punch knocks you out...… so protect well.

 

Victor Donald Smith We cover much the same in Isshinryu. However I recommend not being there is better than being struck every time. Especially is they happen to have a small blade in their palm, LOL


No comments: