Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Inverted Punch – Ernie

 

 


Okay, here's what I know.  I first learned this one also as a fighting technique from Master Pai. It was done with a cross step and aimed for the ribs.  The

punch came from the shoulder, rather than the hip with the full twist, but was still inverted.  The follow up technique was a rolling backfist to the head using the same hand.  I still teach this technique to my advanced students because it is a very fast hand technique and almost impossible to stop.

In the Mantis system and the Eagle Claw system the technique is usually executed from the shoulder or ear and strikes downward.  Even though the punch is inverted, there's no twisting involved.  You just turn the fist and strike with the thumb side down.

I only have one form that uses this technique from the hip with the full twist and that is a dragon from the White Dragon system.  Maybe I'll show it to you
when I get out there.  Maybe it's a dragon punching technique.

This is an interesting question to see where this punch came from and maybe find the style that developed it.

No comments: