Saturday, August 9, 2008

Isshin/Zanshin

Isshin as focused concentration goes hand in hand with Zanshin as global concentration.

The more we focus in great detal on the small, the more we focus in great detail on the large, together define our limits, moment by moment.

I practice/research/study/teach my private isshinryu practice of bushi no te isshinryu these past 35 years.

I practice/research/study and at times teach yang long fist tai chi chaun htest past 30 years.

My practice was formed by Tom Lewis' Isshinryu; by Charles Murray's Isshinryu; by Ernest Rothrock's arts of Yang and Wu Tai Chi Chaun, Pai Lum, Sil Lum, Tai Tong Long and of course his Faan Tzi Ying Jow Pai; by Tristan Sutrisno's Shotokan, Aikido, Tjimande and Kobudo, by a close encounter with Sherman Harrill's study of Isshinryu; and of course many times many friends sharings.

My life is defined by my family, supported by Marueen my wife and my children Victor Michael and Caryn Alyssa.

And of course the drive that makes me practice tai chi on my driveway at -20 degrees f., drive through ice storms and blizzards to train, practice at midnight, in pouring rain, in dense fog, to scream at my french dictionary as I've translated books from the French for my friends and otherwise find incredible texture and depth from my efforts.

I hope I can share my thoughts on the very small and the very large, my isshin as well as my zanshin, my concentration on my art, my life.

No comments: