Monday, July 19, 2010

I am NOT Master Smith

Just for the record, not that anybody pays attention.

I am not Master Smith. To the youth I train I am Mr. Smith, to everyone else I'm just Victor.

I run a very small program by design, trying to experience the concept of personal training pre 1900. At that time there were no masters, just an instructor and a student or two, at least that's how I imagine it.

I have tremendous respect for all traditions, but that does not mean I follow them either.

Too many times over the years visiting different friends schools I find myself introduced as Master Smith or the students Master Smith'ing me every time I turn around.

As I don't belong to any organizations I don't have rank with them. I've only trained about 37 years now, am getting older and slower and at the same time a year doesn't go by that I don't find I've doubled what I understand about my studies.

Haven't mastered anything.
Can't pass what I know to anyone, just find I can try and pass enough to someone to let them find their own direction in time.

I don't hold any title so I'm not a Master.

I'm not your instructor so I'm not your Sensei.

I only hope I'm your friend and am quite satisfied if you can call me Victor.

No comments: