Saturday, June 22, 2019

How I see rank in my dojo


 


 
As I understand it kyu colored belts (rank) evolved over time. Back on Okinawa from what I understand I Isshinryu it went from White-Black to White-Green-Brown-Black and onward. When I began it went White- Yellow- Blue-Green- Brown (3 levels)-Black. Over time black belt rank evolved too. Black then Red and White and Red. At times tape was used for dan rank.

 

Personally  I changed the rank structure to accommodate teaching youth. Keeping the same standards for receiving ShoDan at any age.

 

My adults were never concerned about rank, at times I had to insist qualified students were to test for it.

 

Eventually for adult dojo rank dans I moved to only 3 dan ranks (more for my convenience).

 

Shodan for seasoning about 1 year.

Ni Dan for lifetime focus on what their needs for karate became.

San Dan for those who went beyond their own needs moving into a greater exploration of their art. They still had their Ni Dan commitment, but went for more than that.

 

After all in the dojo everyone knows where everyone is after all. The rest is not needed.

 

Instructor was something else. First 15 continuous years training, to really know the system, Then if they were interested a 5 year mentorship showing how to guide students through many levels.

Only then would the instructor be granted permission to instruct.

They were still active students too.

 

Instructors wore the red-white-black obi. Always black side out. To others it always appeared to be a black belt, but when the instructor donned it with the colors inside, it became another reminder of the burden they chose to take on.

 

We really did not attend other groups much and none of the rest was necessary. The instructors did receive traditional Isshinryu dan ranking if ever they felt the need to move outside the group.



 And as I was trained no one is tested for rank, the one exception is the ShoDan examination if more a initiation, one must suceed before the rank is granted. There is no futhrer Dan or instructor testing. It is the instructor's responsibility to understand when someone is ready for new challenges.





Looking back at the entire issue of rank from the distance of time it seems the least important thing of all in the martial arts. At least that is what I have experienced.

 

Having taught for a long time I admit it helps beginners (of all ages) focus on moving forward, hence all the different schema employed for that purpose.

 

And I hold traditional Isshinryu rank which I hold that my instructors hold me in regard, but outside of that I have never let that define me. If anything as dan rank rose I felt the increased burden that all it meant was that more and more was expected of me.

 

The way I was trained rank was not a reward for accomplishment. It was not something won through testing. It just was given to you when you were ready for more challenges. The instructor made that evaluation from direct daily evaluation. They saw each effort, good or bad, as it occurred and based their decision on when you were ready to face a more difficult load.

 

There was a challenging dan initiation, which you had to pass before you could move on. But that was the only ‘test’. After that the same criteria as the past was the only standard, direct observation by your instructor. Based as much as what you did, and how you worked to meet the new challenges. And those challenges are infinite in nature, never ending, each journey a different path to follow different for each person.

 

I worked very hard to make every student realize new rank did not mean accomplishment, only that they were now ready for it to get harder and harder.

 

You also learn very quickly that everyone does not hold to your reality.

 

There are infinite standards in infinite systems. Tape or no tape, solid belts or stripes on belts. 5 degrees of kyu or 10 degrees of kyo or 20 degrees of kyu. It reality it matters so little that there are differences. Each road winds a different way. How you make your way work for you is much more important.
 

No comments: