Friday, October 22, 2021

The term Sensei as used in Japan from the Karate Underground discussion group now long gone

 

I discovered this older post in my files. I believe it is worth considering.




The Term Sensei in Japan on Karate Undergound

            By Makoto

 

After reading Shawn`s post I remembered a few times where I used the fact I am a sensei here in Japan to make students listen and show some respect.(This is when I was teaching at a junior high school here in Japan)

In the past when students have crossed the line, or gotten too noisy, or been rude to a teacher or me, I scolded them by saying "so and so(or I) is a sensei, they are doing their best to teach you, they care if you learn or not, why do you not show some respect. This person is a sensei"

The fact I invoked the idea of showing respect to some one called sensei, they usually fell back into place.

Inspite of my previous post, I will have to agree with Scott and say that there are times here in Japan, when the word sensei can command respect. Also being a school teacher (now not as much as then) brings with it a high regard in Japan, and many people call you sensei and treat you with some respect(or in some cases reverence). Yet if you are a sensei, you are also expected to act in a very courteous manner.


However, there are other types of sensei that do not get so much respect. English school teachers, do not get as much respect. Aerobic teachers do not get much respect. Wedding Hotel Chapels Priests do not get as much respect. Karate teachers in general public do not get as much respect. (all being compared to teachers, lawyers, doctors, etc). Each of these jobs warrants the title of sensei, but some get more respect than others.




I hope I helped to clarify a bit how the title of sensei is viewed here in Japan.


No comments: