Monday, December 13, 2021

A J Advincula on Chinkuchi

 


Arcenio Advincula 


I have heard that some say, I use the word "chinkuchi" too much. I must have got it from Shimabuku Tatsuo Sensei (1908`1975) who got it from one of his teachers, Kyan Chōtoku (1870~1975).

Since Tatsuo Sensei taught it, I think it is important to pass it on. After all, Kyan Chotoku Sensei said, “Even you learn ti (手 hand) if if you don’t know chinkuchi you don’t know ti (手 hand).” - Kyan Chōtoku (1870~1945) from “Memories of chinkuchi”.

Note: "Ti "meaning "hand" in the Okinawan language = "karate" in the Japanese language.

Now I also use punch, block, strike, kick, elbow, stomp, evade, lunge, step, stance, posture, yell, makiwara, and a lot of other terms used in karate and no one says I use those words too much. I wonder why. Maybe they didn't learn "chinkuchi". After all, it is nothing but a very basic term use in karate kihon. Since it is the way we generate power in Isshin-ryu karate, I learned it from Shimabuku Tatsuo Sensei.

What is chikuchi.

Chinkuchi (チンクチ) is a Okinawan word (Hogen dialect). “Chin” means “muscle/sinew”; “ku” means “bone” and “chi” means “energy or controlled energy” through the use of muscle and bone, tensing and locking specific muscles.

Chinkuchi is emphasized in the sanchin kata where are muscles are checked through “shime (締め tighten/tensing).”

No comments: