Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chinto & Aikido 4

I need to go back to my original discussion on the Chinto Aikido connection.

I was describing the section:

Essence of Okinawan Karate-Do - Nagamine Shoshin Pgs 223 and 222 pictures 23 - 26

Dynamics of Isshinryu - Long and Wheeler Chinto Kata page 81 pictures 19, 20 and 21

I may have confused everyone by citing Exterior (Outside) Line of Defense examples from the various Aikido texts and then switching to Sutrisno Tris' example which was an Interior (Inside) Line of Defense.

Aside [Strange as it seems, my use of Exterior and Interior Lines of Defense came from my passion with Destroyer Novels (Murray and Sapir). One of the early books 'Union Bust' described the concept in terms which made so much sense I adopted it into my own studies. Of course that passion still continues with my
short fiction to this day, writing in their 'universe'.]

The reason for this is this section has multiple Aikido variations (as well as BaGuaZhang and Tai Chi applications too).

I apologize for any confusion. What I'd like to do is pick up from the Sutrisno example and cross reference it to the Aikido texts.

The Sutrisno example falls under Aikido's Heaven and Earth Throw (Tenchi-Nage), according to some of the Aikido texts.

In Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere - Westbrook & Ratti numerous examples can be found.
Projection No. 7 page 269
Projection No. 8 page 270
Tenchi Nage (Heaven & Earth Throw) page 272-273 and 276

In Total Aikido - Shioda Gozo
page 130-131 pictures 6 through 8 parallel Nagamine pictures 24 to 26.
Of course this example is Yokomen-uchi Shomen-Irimi-Nage (Front Entering Throw)

Aikido - Usheiba Kisshomaru
Tenchi-Nage (Heaven & Earth Throw) pages 98-99
You can also consider Sumi-Otoshi (Corner Drop) pages 104-105 (this takes
some imagination)

Budo - Usheiba Morihei
Sumi-otoshi page 88
Tenchi-nage page 90
Kokyu-nage page 91

The Hidden Roots of Aikido
Yokomen-uke aiki nage (omote) a truly magnificent possibility/ not for the
faint of heart

Consideration of other Texts -

I have never found any Aikido text which did not contain some surprise or useful suggestions. I'm really not an Aikido scholar, but as I have worked a few moves over the years, I've tried to pay attention to any good martial text. No one can go right out and buy all which is available, nor should you. I've built my
collection over several decades of work. But I trust you can use any available aikido texts to find similar connections.

Author's Note:

Thank you for the interest which has been expressed in this on-going analysis of Chinto Kata and the techniques of Aikido. I was thinking perhaps only I saw the connection.

First, I'm not trying to describe each technique in detail. My belief by using a common text for the kata and citing various Aikido texts, most of you will be able to cross reference the documentation with their photo's or drawings of the technique. I believe this makes for more exact communication, and perhaps less misunderstanding, as we can cross reference the pictures in questions and discussion.

Of course it has been compounded without a common aikido text source, so I'm trying to reference a number of available current texts. That does distract from the central issue of the technique, but I'm trying to do the best I can.

Also, I am no Japanese scholar. I only take the names out of the Aikido text. My own studies with Sutrisno Sensei, only occasionally referenced the Japanese terminology. He was more interested in the execution of the technique. Whenever I even begin to mention Japanese outside of a direct quote, I likely to first run it by Joe Swift in Kanazawa. So please don't hold the terminology against me.

What I see with this study is not to 're-create Aikido' for karate practitioners. Instead I'm choosing to use the vast available Aikido documentation to unlock the full potential of Chinto. The use of the inherent percussive technique in the kata is undoubtedly a powerful tool. But studies like Aikido, Tai Chi and
Baguazhang (and Tjimande) show the use of Shearing Planes of Force inherent in the technique, too. A very powerful tool. They are present in Seisan, in Kusanku, in Seipai and Gojushiho, but it is Chinto which binds my mind and fuels my passion.

For practioners of other versions of Shorin Chinto or Funakoshi Ginchin Ganayaku, I will not be cross referencing them at this time. But I believe if you review Nagamine's Chinto and compare it with you own, you might find the parallel to join the disucssion, even if only in part. If you have specific questions I will be glad to try and assist your research, too.

To further heighten my discussion I purchased a copy of Nagamine Shoshin video which shows Chinto being performed. Although the copy leaves a great deal to be desired, it supports my study of Nagamine's book that the similarity to Isshinryu Chinto exists.

More interestingly, this weekend a friend showed me umpteenth generation copies (extremely choppy) of Okuhira Bunei (a direct student of Kyan Chotoku) and Shimabuku Zenpo (Seibukan) Chinto kata, which likewise have some similarity….In some sense I'm Chinto'd out at this point. And I understand I'm to receive several more Chinto from Japan shortly.

I expect I have a few more possibilities to yet consider.

No comments: