Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Old Man's Art

With my recent physical changes I am forced to make some changes in my karate.

As my balance has been affected I must pay greater attention to my stances and everything entailed. That makes kata an even more important training tool. But the stances and loss of balance have a greater implication.

To compensate for lack of speed is becomes more important to have the correct angle of entry to an attack. No longer is straight in the best option.   To compensate for lack of balance my stepping become my kicking (similar to Tam Tuie technique).

My striking power is reduced about in half.

The loss of power and speed mean that I can not rely on my striking as before. That means I have to adapt. What I must do is use multiple striking:

http://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2011/04/multiple-striking.html

Back in 1980 I was shown a multiple striking drill by Tristan Sutrisno at our first meeting. It struck me how useful that drill was ad the entire concept. I modified it for my youth program to a three count striking drill and I utilized it with Kata Sho of our practice. I considered the concept Black Belt practice but I start beginners with it so by the time they get to Black Belt training they have mastered the practice. Later on I developed an Isshinyu \versions(using the vertical strike) and an nukite/shuto/haito version.

15 years later I saw how it was also Okinawa practice with Oshiro Toshiro using it.

A different variation comes from training with Harrill Sherman. Using the slicing of the returning/chambering hand for striking.

Yet another variation is found I the Jindo Strikes of Ernest Rothrock where blocks become strikes.

In total it is the underling principle which guides me. How one technique turns into an other technique.

My power is less but I can still reach out and touch you. One strike can boeme many and allow me to prevail.

No comments: