Thursday, November 14, 2019

Three Secrets of Sankonryu



So I began reading Joe Swift’s translation of “Ryuku Oke Hiden Bujutsr: Karate, Bukijutsu” (Secret Royal Martial Arts of Ryukyu: Karate and Weaponry) by Matsuo Kaneori. I admit I only read it when it was published in 2005 and then put it away in my library.

Matsuo Kanenori sakon,a former student of Uehara,who now teaches his own version of the sysytem in Kobe.while keeping the essential of his teacher intact, Matsuo has also added elements of modern Karatedo and Japanese swordmanship to the art he teaches, and refers to it as a Rykyu Oke Hiden Bujutsu Sakonryu.

Therein I find several most intriguing rules that his organization follows, briefly put they are:

1. Do Not Harbor Sinister Intensions.
2. Do Not Neglect Training in the Way.
3. Know That Which Is Unseeable.


In part “ in practice, one should strive to polish the techniques of accurately reading the opponents posture and movements….Do not allow your mind to stop at the movement of the opponent or oneself, but react in accordance to the opponent’s intentions.”

Some intriguing words.


 Know That Which Is Unseeable.



Memories come flooding back as I think of those words.



When I was training with Charles Murray we spent a lot of time with hard body sparring, Every class, almost any time of day. Of course from my perspective that meant I was his striking bag. For he would pummel me over and over. I don’t mean he injured me, much. Rather I experienced what it felt like, over and over, to face someone way above my abilities. (And at that time he was way above most other abilities too.)




So much so, I remember I was never able to strike him once when we sparred. Yes, it was humbling. (Then on a later date I did strike him once, the stuff of legend, and he promised I would never have the chance to do so again, And he kept his word. LOL)



Finally he explained what he was doing, “Vic,” he said, “ just imagine you are in the middle of an imaginary circle, with a 3 foot line around you. When someone touches that line you decide 1) to explode over them, or 2) to move back keeping your distance. The point is you are in charge of your actions, you decide when you will attack, or you decide when you will move away keeping your distance. The key, You decide, nor your opponent!)



Of course far easier to say than do, but it provides a template for controlling yourself in confrontation.,



Then at one of our earlier meetings John Kerker shared one of the last studies Sherman Harrill was working on with him. A brilliant answer on how to attack something coming in your direction. When I apply what Charles told me, with that, well I suggest that is when things start to get interesting.



Of course that is not my story to explain, consider taking the time to attend one of John’s clinics, and perhaps he will cover that.




My point being able to know what is unseeable and then learning how to use that knowledge.


Priceless.


A challenge for a lifetime!

1 comment:

Victor Smith said...

Charles H. Murray

I still try to teach this from time to time. But now in my more mature years it's harder to demonstrate and I think now students just want to do their own thing. I got it from an article Joe Lewis did for one of the Karate magazines back then.