Friday, July 10, 2020

The question of Pressure Point Striking or Dim Mak studies.


To be completely honest, none of the variety of arts to which I studied, or was exposed  to ever trained with vital point charts as a focus of training. The closest I was  taught by my original instructors was if you had to strike a body from any angle or position, target the centerline as  there were more places there that you could impart more impact into an attacker.

 

So not in my Isshinryu studies, or in the wide variety of karate arts I experienced did I hear a word about vital point striking.

 

When I gained some exposure to Northern Eagle Claw I discovered the only chart they used just showed their own version of vital points. Later I experienced a bit of their extensive two person forms and began to understand why. They covered so many ways to utilize their clawing not from charts, but by actual practice of them during their study.

 

One of the earliest book I had was a Christmas gift from my wife when she gave me a copy of Funakoshi Ginchin’s “Karate Do Koyan” and it contained charts and an explanation of the vital points. Then as the years passed I found more and more versions.

 


 


 

 

But of course that was just book larnin’ not actual experience.

 

O I got the point those vital points had less body protection available to stop a blow from injury.

 

And I had experiences so many of them,  As a beginner with my Isshinryu body hardening and kumite with more advanced students than I, I felt what those blows could do when delivered correctly. Then on the journey I have been placed in a carotid choke when not expected and remember coming too laying on the floor.

 

I have struck people on the tip of  their jaw,and other places with light power and put them down in the process. I have even been on the receiving end of a strike not on the charts and when I was on the receiving end learned that I could fly.

 

The manner in which I learned Aikido technique explained to me that is was the apprehension or actualization of pain from the lock that made the individual move into the takedown/projection resulting from the aikido lock.

 

So when in the mid 1980s the magazines touted the pressure point strikes could be effective I began to wonder if that was so. I could see how an extremely skilled technician could do so, but wondered about the underlying theory.

 

Never sought out the training, That was about the time George Dillman started making noise about all of that. I did attend one clinic he held in New Hampshire, but he just talked and did not show anything when I was there.

 

Later when his books came out, it began more thought on the issue.  So I took one of his explanations of the Cycles involved and charted them out, all of them… then worked out for myself he could claim any of the cycles was the answer for each point as sooner or later all the points would be covered. From my point of view just words, nothing especially practical for me.

 

I am not saying that is wrong, just that I was not going to focus my art on all of that. A personal choice.

 

Along the way of my own study, partially from my analysis of kata technique potential, partially from my ongoing work on t’ai chi as wll as other studies at times not intending to I found slight technique application would put my students down quckly.

 

On time I was showing an application potential to a brown belt and when doing so ko’s the student so that I had to grab them falling toward the ground. That was not my intention. Later trying the same movement against different students I did not have that result. At the time it was most a mystery to me, I had acquired Earl Montague’s texts on Dim Mak so I thought to write him, He did answer but did not provide a useful answer.

 

Another time I was working a very slight t’ai chi movement against a student, who was also one of my black belts. I nearly caved his chest in, then I repeated that movement with him again only softer and slower to obtain the same result. Eventually I worked out what occurred. It was not vital points that caused this, rather other force enhancers my t’ai chi study had developed.

 

Another time after t’ai chi class, I arrived at a different way to use Chinto kata’s opening movement. Again using another of my black belt students and going slow immediately placed him on the ground. And repeating it again softer and slower got the same result my student went down. Eventually working it out realized a different force enhances was in play, one I had not considered.

 

Or there was the time when facing an attack I simply responded by moving in and exactly doing the kata, that alone nailed the student. Another different set of force enhancers at play.

 

None of them strictly involved vital points of pressure points.

 

I began to realize a whole lot of different things were in play.

 

Then I began to do some research into the idea of striking pressure points.

 

I selected a point I had been hit at and one I had left an effect on my opponent at a tournament. Liver 14.  I definitely felt the strike but did not go down. One time at a tournament  my opponent and I exchanged techniques. He went high with a back fist to my face, I delivered a body blow to this location. I was not very tournament smart, he got the point and the fight, but afterwards in the locker-room he complained how painful that strike was to him.

 

So I decided to start there.

 

 

Pressure Point Liver 14 - Location LV-14 is located on the mamillary line, 2 ribs below the nipple, in the 6th intercostal space. This point is 6 cun above the navel & 3.5 cun lateral to GV-14, near the medial end of the 6th intercostal space .

 

 

 


I began my research by using George Dillman’s book:

 

Liver 14 lays directly under the nipple in the Intercoastal space that is the most depressed. This point must be struck down and into the body at a 45 degree angle (Be careful how much and use your first 2 knuckles) preferably cross-body.  First try straight in and then try the above method. Once you get the results (I have worked this on hundreds around the world and only ran into a handful that did not feel it go internal..so work it until you get it), let’s ask what is medically happening.

 

 

This came from the Dillman book (when I moved to Arizona this was among the hundreds of books I discarded and no longer know which book that was as I had 3 or 4 of those books, Now all of them discarded.

 

Of course it was pushing self practice to develop results. I already knew it hurt so it didn’t tell me much I already knew.

 

Next I turned to Earl Montague’sEncyclopedia of Dim Mak”.

 

 Direction of strike  Can be struck in or from outer to inner (as laterally, across the body),

 

Damage: This point is used greatly in martial arts because it is so deadly and relatively easy to get at. Ko will occur when this point is struck, mainly because the recipient is dead! A strike to  Liver 14 will cause mental problems, as well as heart problems (like stopping it!). It can cause the lungs to collapse. It will cause liver to stop functioning. Even a light strike here will do damage. When the strike to this point is a slice across the body from outside to inside, it will cause great emotional problems and energy damage, as it stops the qi for a moment. Blindness can occur instantly or at some later time. Hence, this is one of the ‘delayed death touch points”.

 

Set up point: Neigwan or LU 5, but both together is even better.

 

Antidote: There is no antidote for this point, although you could see an acupuncturist if  it was a lateral strike, you could massage the point in the opposite direction of the strike.

 

Applications:  He attacks with a straight left. You use a tajiquan method of “life hands’ to trap and damage the elbow. Slamming his Neigwan point with your left palm while under your right palm attacks Si 8, Your right heel has also struck to St 36 on his left leg (fig 191I, Your right palm pushes his left arm over to your left as the palm heel of your left hand strikes to Liv 24, and your fingers attack to St 9. (fig 192)

 

Boy quite a difference between the Dillman explanation and the Montague explanation. I don’t profess to be an expert. I did not train in either method.

 

But clearly I see there is a difference between how to use this strike.

 

And going back to my own experience when struck there I did not die, but perhaps the psychological implications from such a strike are just delayed, perhaps to a time after my actual death.

 

I never wanted to inflict damage on my students to learn such ‘secrets’ First because I don’t desire to hurt them and 2. I have no desire to actually do such to them.

 

But I was not in a quandary, I just set such aside for me. My own studies suggested so many force enhancers to improve my strikes, the use of fractals of a technique as techniques themselves along with many other things to keep myself occupied.


For myself the connect the dots was not a concern after this.

 

Then a few years later I found a superior answer from the teachings of Sherman Harrill and his senior student John Kerker. The answer  was they showed what decades of makiwara and subsidiary training allowed them to literally strike anyplace on the body to put someone down.

 

I personally considered that the superior answer.

 

Although I found many other answers using different force enhances too.

 

 

 




 


 

 

No comments: