Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Body, Mind and Spirit


Studies on the Martial Arts can be marvelous to ponder.

 

But you discover that what is incontrovertible truth for one art that produces marvelous people, in not necessarily true for another art that also produces marvelous people.

 

It is a wide world after all, and there are many truths that still work, even which hold to divergent principles.

 

I would like to discuss one concept, that of Bunkai, from my experience.

  

When I began there was no talk about bunkai in my instructors curricula. He followed a different powerful paradigm for what he taught. Then when I went out to train with many other friends the concept ‘bunkai’ was never mentioned or taught when I was there. This was rouhgly between 1979 to the mid 1980s.

 

I am not saying that it was not there, but I heard nothing about that ever.

 

 

The one exception was when I began training with Tristan Sutrisno. Bunkai was not a practice for kyu study, ever. Eventually he explained what it was, how it worked from his father in Indonesia, and explained why it was a dan study.

 

Let me make it clear I am not an adept of his system. He showed me some of his students shodan bunkai studies. Explained in detail what the dan study of bunkai entailed. How a different structure was used at each of the 5 dan levels, and did explain a bit of the 3rd and 4th level bunkai were, and one time he demonstrated a bit of what I surmise the 5th level was.

 

There was a reason it was not a kyu study. Not that his students studies were incapable of doing the job. Rather the kyu more importantly was working on power, technique, flow and speed firstmost. It was more important to prepare that first.

 

Then at dan began a lifetime of study; No student ever worked out how a technique would be used. But each of the dan studies were explosive to eliminate a threat if used. The driving force was not the kata technique, rather there were movement points within the kata execution where each was a unique series of responses flowed from the kata, Each unique and unknowable by anyone viewing the kata. Then there was a 1st level bunkai version of the kata, and other versions for each subsequent dan study.

 

For me, his definition was the only definition I ever really accepted for ‘bunkai.’

 

About the mid 1980s the concept of bunkai began to be written about in the magazines. This was a bit before the Oyhata and Dillman stuff.

 

However what was being shown as the bunkai was nothing like I had seen in the Sutrisno system. In fact when YouTube began to show the entire world using bunkai, I began an exhaustive review of almost everything I could find. To date I have found no one in the world uses the same definition I had learned.

 

 

Now I gathered many different ways karate technique could be used, then I began my own study on how a technique could be used. Among the first studies was 50 different way the first technique from my Seisan kata could be used (with variable definition as to what that technique was… a move, a series of moves, etc). As I went I focused on the underlying principles behind those applications.

 

As my studies continued I also studied with Sherman Harrill for about a decade of clinics. On his death I pulled my notes together and discovered he showed me 800 application possibilities for Isshinryu’s 8 kata. And  that was only a part of his studies over 40 years.

 

However, while I taught some of them, they gave me further impetus for my own studies.  Now I have no idea if they were things he worked on, they were new to me.

 

I also spent time with his senior student John Kerker, learning more what was behind what Sherman taught.

 

Personally for me the word ‘bunkai’ is the definition Tristan Sutrisno taught me. From learned friends I got a number of different ways ‘bunkai’ could be used. But I am not a Japanese scholar, and all those who shared with me did so in English, so I developed my own terminology for the concept ‘bunkai.

 

As I saw it there is movement and stillness forming kata. Those portions of movement and stillness can be used to insert same into an attack (any attack). Then there is the study as to how that movement fo stillness from any kata can be used. To me that study is Application Analysis. Then I realized in time that study of Application Analysis is only part of the study. For then the larger study take hold, how to use that Application Analysis to reach Application Realization.

 

This was a continual sharing with my adult students, over decades of work. These experiences are what I bequeathed to them. Then my disabilities caused me to move 2000 miles away from them. I continued to share my thoughts, etc. on my blog and through continuing private memos.

 

Then last week a discussion with Steve Williams made me think about so many hings, and once I begin I rarely set that process aside.

 

So with that introduction let me begin. And this is what I have written about before, perhaps in a newer context.

 


 

As I an now seeing what I was working toward was in fact a literal interpretation of development of the Body, the Mind and the Spirit of my students.

 

The Body

 

Partially based on the practice of kyu development found in Sutrisno Shotokan training, my focus for the kyu was always on the development of technique, timing, shifting then power and alignment. There were focused drills which could be used for self defense, but they were supplemental to kata study. Correct kata study is of course correct execution of the basics of the style.  Without development of correct technique the student had far less to work with in understanding how kata technique could be used.  Nothing was hidden from students as to what karate would be used for, but that was clearly a focus of Dan training. The kata of Isshinryu as well as supplemental kata from various systems added to the students challenge. The supplemental drills taught were all for preparation for the black belt initiation, working to develop skills useful in later dan studies.

 

The Mind

 

The study of the uses of kata technique or their use from Application Analysis began after shodan. I thought it best to begin looking at 50 or so applications to the first movement (s) of kata Seisan. The number was not the thing. It was to realize that every possible application could enter any attack and conclude that attack.. Along with the study the dan begins to experience the underlying principles that make any application work.

Once the dan completes that initial study then they experience how I randomly shared such studies across the kata we worked with. This is an openended study that continues for life.

 

There supplemental studies that also continue for life. Some supplemental kata studies, our kobudo studies which are another force enhancer that allowing decades for work contribute to the effectiveness of the empty hand technique.

 

The goal is not necessarily to understand the use of each movement of our kata. In time that becomes possible as they learn more and more about the underlying principles behind those applications. Until they eventually are capable of their own Application Analysis of any technique.

 

The study is unending once you truly understand every technique can conclude every attack if you understand how it may be applied. The continuing never ending study of kata, kobudo and applications is also a major component at keeping one’s mind fresh and aware. By continually keeping learning you are in fact keeping your focus ever growing, alert and retouching the beginners mind. Another useful component for the long term martial artist.

 

For you have also realized that Application Analysis is but a very small part of the real challenge.

 

The Spirit

 

Understanding even one potential use of a movement or stillness is only the first step. The next step is working toward Application Realization. Where the initial stage of study is against standard attacks at relatively slow speeds. Necessary because every learning begins somewhere. Then you have to work against ever faster and stronger attacks, over and over. To get to the point you fully trust that technique to make it work. It is only then that your spirit drives you ability to fully utilize the technique. And that is a much more difficult task to accomplish. Having knowledge that a thing is possible is not enough. You have to be skilled in actually trusting your technique, or you will instantly abandon it for something you feel more comfortable with. While a reasonable choice under stress to be able to succeed. You only really reach being unpredictable by being able to drive your spirit behind whatever technique you choose to use.

 

Conclusion

 

Only when you are able to fully unite the Body, the Mind and the Spirit can you reach towards full effectiveness. Making your response working and unpredictable.  Flowing with the attack and ending it without thought, without worry about what technique to use.

 

 

I make no claim that I have accomplished all of this, but I have made some small steps toward this. I hope my students take it further.

  



 

No comments: