Sunday, January 31, 2021

PostScript: After all, how might a technique from a kata be used to conclude an attack?

 



Now after all these years I have a few following thoughts on this.

 

First every instructor and friend who shared with me had an influence on what I eventually saw. My students through their efforts made contributions. Even my son when a young student saw how I was conducting my study of one movement and he worked up another answer. In that sense all were contributors.

 

Of course some more than others, though I cannot easily distinguish who shared more.

 

After years of study in my own Isshinryu and with others in divers arts, back around 1988 I began my own studies on how things worked.. A part of this came from how I structures my research on one technique from Seisan kata. In time that grew to over 100 potential uses that I worked out.

 

Then the time I was able to spend with Sheman Harrill made a gigantic influence on me. Not that I would teach all of the 800 Isshinryu applications I saw from him (and more from his student John Kerker), more that that further inspired me to continue to do my own studies.

 

While I did originally work out 50 ways Seisan’s opening might be used, my studies did not progress technique by technique through my kata, from that point.

 

Rather it was rhapsodic continually shifting around the kata. And some of those studies were made on a few of the other kata I studied. For the most part they were used for the attacks they offered to work against. Keeping me working on so much more than the initial stepping grab/strike, though that always remained necessary as every study has to start somewere.

 

At times my work also included my Yang t’ai chi chaun study. My original purpose was just to learn t’ai chi, not to use it. But the mind does not turn off and at times I discovered how powerful those gentle flowing movement could be. Also in time I came to see how my t’ai chi had a feathers touch on each of my karate’s techniques. But I kept that understanding just for me.

 

Coming from an Isshinryu paradigm that did not much discuss kata applications, at times some movements were explained a bit to me to help me understand why a move was done that way.

 

Decades later I found those initial explanations would inhibit me from futher research on those movements. After I knew what the move was used for. And once I discovered that was occurring it always meant more work was necessary.

 

Now I had worked out all that was really necessary was to fully understand what one movement could do and train to be able to insert into any attack. Then job done.

 

So I asked as that was the case why did we need more than one kata or even one move.

 

To me it was not so select the correct move for a specific attack.


It was to work to become unpredictable and make any movement you chose do the job.

 

Life is continual change, movement and stillness until the ultimate stillness. We need to continually push our self to keep our mind fresh.


There really is no limit to how many forms one can learn, Nor is their a limit as to how many movements we can study to eliminate an attack.

 

As we understand the principles that make any technique work, in time with effort we learn how to take any technique from any kata and make that work. Continually keeping our potential response fresh and alive.

 

At that point we are no longer dependent on any specific kata. In fact any movement or stillness can be employed.

 

So you reach the form of no form.

 

To date no one has really responded to what I have done with and to my students. Of course they will make their own choice how they will proceed.

 

It seems my vision is just that my vision, but it is how I have lived my life.

No comments: