Thursday, March 25, 2021

Isshinryu's Secret scrolls

 

Back when I first Joined  the internet I found discussion on the Isshinryu discussion group on the Univ. of Flordia List Server about the Secret Scrolls of Isshinryu. I had never heard there was such a thing. But outside of that reference there were so few details so I never really understood what they were.

 

Then I remember reading David Evseefs book on Isshinryu and what it contained listing the Secret Scrolls was a listing of self  defense techniques. However I do not remember them being sourced as to where that list came from.

 

Several years later Sherman Harril joined a discussion on the same topic and this is his answer.

 

The Secret Scrolls  5/9/02

 

Skipper wrote:

 

The reason they became known as the secret scrolls is because they were the last thing taught. The instruction was based on a Marine Tour of duty. About 12 to 14 months. So Most marines took a few months to find a dojo which left them with only about 12 months to learn. Many never came back so they missed the end of the curriculum.


I'll include a photo of the karate numbers

 

Harrill Sensei replied:

 

After reading Skipper's post I thought I might add some to this.

 

When I arrived on Okinawa I was put in the same Q~Hut with some Marines already taking from Sensei at the Agena dojo. They took me under their wings and on one of their trips to the dojo I inquired as to where they were going in the late afternoon and evenings. They invited me along and introduced me to Sensei Shimabuku.

 

To make a long story short this gave me an early introduction into the dojo with men already there.  As the new member to this group of three I was the on duty punching bag and when they were working on the kumite they used me. I had learned the kumite before I had learned all of my katas. As AJ has stated many never learned them and only copied them from the dojo wall.

I have made it a requirement for anyone working with me that they are to know and teach the kumite as taught by Sensei Shimabuku. Only after learning as taught by Sensei should alternate ways be taught. I have no problem with alternate teachings as long as the person lets people know this up front.

 

One of the three was Charlie Conners who you will see in photos with AJ doing the Kumite. If I had not of been with these men I might not have learned the Kumite.

 

With the early start and with their help learning the kata’s I feel this gave me the opportunity to do something's that I would not have otherwise. I feel where things became so divided was when people started telling stories about what they did on Okinawa.

 

I cannot speak for anyone except myself but I must have been in another dojo because I never seen it.

 

There were a lot of people who say they were close to Sensei, maybe so but the question was asked of myself and Gary Baker at a seminar last weekend. Were you close to and friends with Sensei Shimabuku? Both of our replies were he was Sensei our teacher that was it.

 

I guess where I am headed is that stories were told that made Shimabuku seem way more than what he was.

 

This helped with the high ranks that were brought out and history was changed. People still stay loyal to their Senseis and the stories they told.

 

Egos is what caused the division not what was or was not learned at the dojo.

SJH

 

I believe today we can put this in context that what were referred to as the Secret Scrolls were the Kumite taught by Shimabuku Tatsuo.

 

Today we can find several sources showing the Kumite. It was just the tactical teachings of how to use Isshinryu by Shimabuku Sensei.

 

But in the past those teachings were not apparently so common among the Isshinryu community, and thus the name “The Secret Scrolls” came into being.

 

What I observed is there were many different Isshiryu communities in the past, and they had many variances. Likely this is the genesis of the term.

 

One variation was shown by Uzeu Angi on his Panther Videos on Isshinryu Life Saving techniques.  I have seen video of AJAdvincula, Sherman Harrill and John Bartusevics showing the original Tatsuo kumite.

 

Perhaps this helps understand the past within Isshinryu.


Shimabuku Sensei’s Kumite – Notes

D:\Victor Files\Sherm-pedia\Sherm-pedia source\14 Miscellanous

 

01 How to counter basic grabs

02 How to counter punching attacks

03 Striking the back of an attacking fist

04 Special blocking techniques

05 How to grab and control the attacker

06 How to counter the Gi Grab

07 How to counter the Full Nelson

08 How to counter the Bear Hug

09 How to counter the Devil’s handshake

10 How to counter chokes (including from the mount position)

11 How to counter a straight stab

12 How to counter an ice pick stab

13 How to counter a straight stab with both hands up

14 How to counter a straight stab leaning forward

15 How to counter double knife stabs




No comments: