Sunday, March 28, 2021

Makiwara Training - my personal experience

 

 Something I really have not discussed in my makiwara training.

 

John Kerker recently shared some videos about how he strikes the Makiwara and that certainly brought back memories. (I will be sharing John’s videos with his permission).

 

When I began my Isshinryu studies Lewis Sensei had a makiwara in his dojo, but I do not recall ever being instructed to use it. There were so many things to learn, I really never got around to it back then.

 

I did hear a story about the training in Agena that Master Shimabuku did not want the Marines training there to strike the walls of his dojo. He even had a sign to that effect placed on the wall… Roll forward many years and Charles Murray eventually shared a movie about his training in Agena in 1972 and there was a photo of that sign in the movie.

 


 

Part of the reason I did not get around to exploring the use of the makiwara was that fist protection gear came to be used for our sparring.

 

I had just received my green belt in Isshinryu when relocating to Scranton Pa for work, and having to switch systems to Tang Soo Do as that was all there was there, I started over learning another art. The school had several good makiwara that almost on one ever used, so after class I began a regular striking regime. About 15 to 30 minutes striking after each class.

 

As time went on my striking knuckles somewhat flattened, but no calluses appeared. What I did discover was that as my fingers clenched at my fist when I struck the makiwara, gradually I began to form calluses on the inner pads of my palms. I continued that practice for the two years of my contract.

 

During that time I was very lucky to resume Isshinryu training with Charles Murray but as we trained in the basement of the Church he was pastor in, makiwara was not possible.

 

 I know he trained in Salisbury with Lewis Sensei and as a new black belt was able to train in Okinawa with Shimabuku Sensei for two years. I also knew that he did train in the Agena Dojo where there were several types of Makiwara.

 

Yet the last year of my contract for TSD training, I was also training in Isshinryu with Charles. But though training with makiwara at TSD, we never discussed it with my Isshinryu training.

 

When he returned to the USAF and I was on my own I began a program for youth through the Scranton Boys Club and there was no possibility of makiwara there in any case. I literally visited one dojo or another for 5 years to be able to train alongside adults. As it turns out none of them had makiwara training either. In fact in my area the only school which used kumite in training, while I was there, was the Kempo Goju of  David Brojack. They were the only people that I could fight with. And they often remarked at the sting of my strikes. That led Dave to remark one time that I had the strongest strikes he knew of. Now I was far from a good fighter so I did not pay much attention to that remark…

 

I remember one time I was fighting at a tournament and I lost my fight. I too often went to the body when my opponent would go for my head, and though the strikes were simultaneous the judges would most often score the head strike being what they would observe.  Later in the locker room while changing I remember my opponent telling me I really nailed him and how that hurt.

 

I came to realize that two years of makiwara work had made my strikes harder and that made the difference.  And the manner in which the makiwara change my fist remained with me for decades.

 

Now training the young and training adults at the Boys and Girls Club of Derry NH from 1985 on, again a makiwara was not possible there for any of my students.

 

Personally I do not believe Makiwara training is appropriate for youth. I have read too many articles making that point, such that striking could be detrimental to growing bones of youth. I also remember discussing this with a student who was also a Surgeon and my doctor, and he agreed.

 

Then in 1995 I began training at times with Sherman Harrill, who had at least 40 years of work with the Makiwara, and had occasion to feel the power of his fists from constant Makiwara work. He impressed on me that, often he discussed at how powerful the use of the makiwara was in training.

 

My opinion is that one does what one does.  Makiwara is a force enhancer to strengthen one’s karate. But it is not the only force enhancer. I believe karate can be very successful in many different ways of training.  I do believe all things being equal makiwara offers superior value for the karate-ka.  Unfortunately all this are not always equal.

 

When that is the case other ways to produce superior results must be used,

 

If anything there is so much warp and woof to what is possible to develop superior karate, that one must consider many possible ways.

 

So let me share those videos of John Kerker delivering Isshinryu strikes on the Makiwara.

 

 

John Kerker on Striking the Makiwara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojCZLm4XgZA

 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kPtOG9TxSc




No comments: