Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Teaching the young, an instructors perspective.

 


From the perspective of someone who taught the young through the Boys and Girls Club between 1979 to 2016.  I understand what you are commenting on. Of course I only taught for free, just wanting to pay back to my community what adults did when I was young. 

When I first taught I was expecting teens to come, but discovered most at that time were not interested in karate. Many of my students were young. But regardless of who the students were I only taught the karate I studied. Never play classes to make money as many schools I have seen do so many times. 

In fact one time I had a young girl join our program, he father brought he to our first class, and at one time he had trained to black belt in a different system. He chose our program because it was not a play karate program as were many others he  looked at. 

After observing what was being taught to his daughter (who was 7) after class he approached me to state,  I can’t believe it you were actually teaching her karate."  

I replied, “Of course I was that was what I was trained in.”


It is invariably true almost 100 % will not stay more than a few years, an those who reach black belt when they move forward in life, as young people do, will almost certainly place karate aside.

 

I have had instructors who had huge and good commercial programs express the same experience. Young people move on in life and rarely include karate in their path. 


But the value is there for each and every one of them,  Not the karate, which is real, but the value to their lives, which is beyond measure. For everyone of them, whether they stay or not, gains the knowledge that they can really learn if they apply themselves to the training. The confidence of that effort is beyond price as they keep it for life.




No comments: