Monday, April 12, 2021

Tribute to Roy Blackwell

 


Roy Blackwell was my first black belt student.

 

He began his training under Charles Murray who was also training me, when Charles began a youth program in his church in Providence Pa. When Charles returned to the USAF the Blackwell brothers continued their training with me.

  


A photo I took of some of the students of Charles Murray back in 1978,

 

When I began my program for youth at the Scranton Boys Club, they assisted me with the program as they continued their own studies. Often they accompanied me to get additional training at the many schools I visited.

 

Roy continued the training and eventually reached Black Belt, prior to moving with his family to Texas.

 

At times he would visit me for varying times and eventually reached 3rd dan.

 

In Texas he chose to join the USMC reserves.

 

In life he faced many trials and eventually succumbed to them, passing away.

 

I would like to remember Roy best through these photos

 



Mike Toomey (my 2nd black belt), myself and Roy

 




  

 





 

 


Myself and I preparing to participate in a karate camp war game.

No comments: