Sunday, October 16, 2022

On Supple Dranon the form Lung Lek Kuen

 

Supple Dragon was a kuen (form) originally taught by Daniel Pai.

 

Although Hawaiian he originally seems to have taught Goju Ryu, later teaching is own Chinese art Pai Lum.

 

At first he taught in Canada, later moving down into the states.

 

The earliest version I can locate is that done by a Canadian.

 

 

Canadian version of Lung Le Kuen Supple Dragon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-668Jx83z4

 



 E

rnest Rothrock learnt it as he studied Pai Lum,  he taught it a green level.

When I was training with him I saw it performed many, many times.

 

Roy Blackwell my first black belt, moved to Texas shortly there after to be with his family who had moved there.

 

About a year later he was able to visit with me for 2 weeks. As a surprise I paid Ernest to privately teach him the form. Watching the instruction closely, after so many form studies with Ernest, I taught myself the form.

 

In December of 1984 an I was leaving Scranton the guy at the Wilkes Barre Pai Lum school filmed me performing many of my form studies to assist me in the future. Dave Belsky filmed a walk through of Supple Dragon (Lune Le Kuen) to show what he was doing.

 

Dave Belsky - Supple Dragon - 1984

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdh2YvNqRIM

 


Then in 1985 I moved to Derry, NH and started a youth group and an adult group at the Derry Boys and Girls Club. Eventually I began to teach the form to my advancing adults for fun. Years later Ernest visited Derry, and I asked to give them a clinic on Supple Dragon. This allowed them to see a Pai Lum expert show the form and make adjustments to what they had learned.

 

At the end of the clinic Ernest showed the form as a walk through to better understand the flow of the movements.

 

Ernest Rothrock Supple Dragon 12 2 1988

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKnIEV8TZfM



 

We never tried to be Pai Lum students, as this was more an exercise to understand how another system trains.

 

This is Young Lee performing Supple Dragon, perhaps an Isshinryuized version of the form.

 

Feb 2011 Young Lee - Lung Le Kuen

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ5goAtmkAc

 


A number of years later I included various forms from other systems as supplemental form studies, for my students.

 

These supplemental forms were of course mandatory, but there initlal purpose was to allow my students to tactically understand what others were doing in different systems of study.

 

It also had the purpose of expanding my student’s range of motion and movement flow beyond the Isshinryu.

 

But their Isshinryu was the system they were studying, always.

 

Later another purpose was revealed, they would have skilled techniques from other systems to apply their Isshinryu technique against, and then to work how to defeat.

 

Those additional forms were:

 

White belt –

Sho             (Fyugata Sho),

Kyozai        (Okinawan taught in the Schools)

Ananku       (Carl Long Shorin tradition)

Yellow Belt-

          Saifa           (Goju)

Brown Belt-

Lung Lek Kuen  (Pai Lum , Supple Dragon)

Nijushiho             (Shotokan, Sutrisno family)

 

                  

 

No comments: