Sunday, October 28, 2018

About the purpose of my blog.


The way I taught Isshinryu karate, was based on the way I was originally taught.

Karate class was never a history lesson, there were simply too many other things to do.

Never enough time to do everything the instructor wanted in karate.

 

Following the same vision of my art, I only very briefly touched on Isshinryu history.

When a student was preparing for sho-dan examination I did share what I considered relevant history with them at that time for study. But there simply never was enough time for the actual practice of their karate.

 

Of course when you browse this blog you find a lot of articles on Isshinryu (and many other things of personal interest). I read all of them during my years, and in more that some of them I doubt everything is completely accurate.

 

But the actual way Isshinryu history was really transmitted, to understand that possible less than accurate transmission of some things, was what occurred. These articles are shared to allow you to understand how Isshinryu material was transmitted at different times. You need to understand what was shared in order to understand where the Isshinryu has been.

 

Of course time on the floor is still more important.

 

I want you to experience them just as I have and to consider what they present  as when I first read them. Then it is up to you to understand and consider their value to your own practice. There is too much editing of the past by others, one needs to see exactly what was being shared and then begin to understand how that information shaped opinion.

 

But your study already has shown you what reality feels like. You are well equipped to form your own opinions.

 ------

Years ago I realized I had accumulated literally thousands of karate magazines, some from all over the world. I also realized how much I would never have an interest in reading again. I saved a few magazines. saved articles ( clipped out) that interested me and canned the rest, piles of magazines.

 

The articles interested me, not which magazine they came from. Then I scanned many of them into my blog when I had a scanner. Then moving I totally downsized my library and most of those saved magazines. So you are seeing what I saved.you can always copy the articled into your own pc, and then blow up the scan to read it better.

 

No comments: