Sunday, October 14, 2018

At Times Less Might Be More

 
There is a great amount of focus on developing the most powerful technique to end an attack. Of course there is logic to that. At the same time little attention is paid to using the least amount of power with a technique to conclude an attack.
 
No less arduous to train for, and there is a lot of logic behind doing things more subtly.
 
Use of single knuckle strikes, the entire range of fingertip strikes, using your body alignment to create more powerful force behind the slightest technique. All the above are examples of potential lighter strikes.
 
Using less powerful strikes to end an attack, allows you to go under the radar of others who may be observing you at the same time.
 
This may be a subtle as a slight step backward to remove yourself  for a target zone, at the same time using the space created by their strike or a more textured response.
 
 
 This does not take less training, rather a very different focus of what a response can be.
 
 
The end goal is the same, but the power needed is so much less.
 
The idea of using Yin as opposed to Yang.

1 comment:

Victor Smith said...

My interest in he possibility of the systematic use of minimalist force goes back to my initial research into a more complete range of what karate could be.

And although I practice Yang Tai Chi Chaun it was not a direct effect of my Tai Chi studies, for when tai chi is studied for martial application, it is not light force, rather a full power application of it’s unique principles.

No, I was doing my own analysis of what was the least amount of power to be a effective technique. No one I studied with suggested this, though at times they did use the principle, just not named as such.

I never taught 50% of the things I have studied. For the simple reason there was not need to do that. Nor have I been able to share 90% of my personal studies with my students. So many things interested me, and no time to apply those studies to class.

I did develop my own range of answers, and today with my disabilities there are yet those techniques I can use.

My choice of mentioning this is to make my students ponder the idea. To guide their thoughts a bit.

In Derry, when I was teaching there, there was far less need to consider this, But I taught in the times I lived, I see the wheel turning and different times coming.

Thus this might be a possibility to be explored.

Things potentially involved:

.The use of angling when moving defensively/offensively, requiring less force to be effective.
.The use of lower body movement as a weapon.
.The use of turning as a weapon.
.The proper use of alignment as a force enhancer to amplify a response.

And there are only some possibilities to consider, not an inclusive list on purpose.

It is of course up to you to effect the idea.