Friday, December 14, 2018

Surprise


This reminds me of the time when Tristan Sutrisno ended up standing on my shoulders after I stepped in with a strike, I believe this was how his Aikido drill 13 ended up from seeing it one time in 1980. 

Instead of taking me down when standing atop my shoulders, he just jumped off, flipped a side kick towards my face and landed on the ground lightly.

 When it occurred I was so shocked I could not figure out how he did it. Nor did his students watching see what he did, for they had never seen that either. 

About 5 years later watching him perform aikido drill 13 in a demonstration, did I work it out. He used the aikido technique entry to transfer my forward motion into his use for the vertical leap, and then instead of wrapping his legs around my neck chose to instead stand on my shoulders.

There is always someone who is beyond your understanding.

 
The aikido drills were not strictly aikido, rather incorporated principles from his aikido to teach a variety of entry into attack, and then used a number of other answers with them.

This reminds me on another technique.
 
 https://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/search?q=How+to+learn+to+fly+-+the+Hun+Yuan+Point
 


 

1 comment:

Victor Smith said...

When I felt Tristan standing on my shoulders I had no idea how he got there. It was more that a bit troubling.

And of course persoal honor meant I could not ask him how he did it.


Over the next 5 years I tried to work it out. Not for myself as it was outside of my range of motion. I came up with 2 different ways he might have done so.

Then one time where he was givige a clinic for my students I saw what he must have done.
It was a 3rd method, one outside of my thoughts.