Sunday, December 23, 2018

To Dim Mak and Beyond or my personal journey through Connect the Dots

 



 
By the mid 1990s  I already had a whole lot of karate. So much so that several lifetimes would be required to share everything with my students (and of course that was not what they wanted).  No question I had many good answers how to drop someone.

 
 

I was not looking for a magic pill. And it was around that time I began to experience the work of Sherman Harrill. But between time with my family (and mowing my huge yard or shoveling my long driveway, constant business travel and work commute from hell, always  focusing on my programs, youth karate, adult karate and my tai chi group) I still had too much free time on my hands (though now I wonder how that was).

 

But constantly reading about the growing fad of meridian striking theories kept my occupied in the back of my mind. There was no time to travel to clinics or desire to spend money on them. So I acquired some books, chief among them was Earl Montague’s books on the Meridians. What impressed me about them was the work he had done to include accurate medical knowledge about them. 


One of my students was my doctor who also was a surgeon, He kept me straight. During frequent visits to my house he would often peruse some of the karate library I accumulated over the years.  


One time time he took a book and threw it in the garbage, explaining if they could not get the location of internal organs correct, why would you trust anything else they wrote as being correct. After all he correctly diagnosed my cancer, assisted in the operation I had, and also made clear only an idiot would ever accept medical advice from me, so I knew he was most likely correct.

 

In my notebooks I preserved drawings and notes I made how kata movement might match with meridian strikes, and so forth.

 

But eventually I  came to realize what was being shown.

 

I took the 5 ‘theories’ explaining meridian strikes and did a most through analysis of what they were saying. (That sort of analysis is how I made my living after all, only in different circumstances). 


What I discovered is that taken together they would always cover any strike at all. Just pick and choose and if it didn’t fit, move to a different theory until you found an answer you liked. That did not appeal to me as logical.

 

I don’t care what others choose to believe. I understand a good technician can make many things work. It just offered nothing sounder that what I already possessed.

 

Then  a sounder reality for me came from continued working with Sherman Harrill.

 

At the clinics I attended with him, and sponsored for him, I was gaining many ways to strike and drop someone. Even to making subtle adjustment to the manner of striking, In fact several of them. My students and I even studied the ‘marks’ from his strikes the day after his clinics, learning ever more.

 

Then he put it most clearly in time. He only used one point. One that started at the top of the head and finished at the bottom of the target’s feet. What he worked towards for decades was a strike, every strike, striking anywhere on the opponents body, and that strike always being able to drop them. And he did just that.

 

No charts, no vital points, no connect the dots. Just the right strike, one tempered with decades on the makiwara.

 

That was all, it was enough.

 

There are many answers after all, Providing man falls down goes boom, that is enough. Technicians, skilled technicians, make them work, even when the underlying theories are diametrically opposed to each other.

 

Among them are the following force multipliers:

 

1.  Serious makiwara and associated strike training.

2. The adjustments to the strike as a force multiplier.

3. The use of alignment as a force multiplier.

4.  Decades of work actually doing the kata, and then actually using the speed of that training as the correct answer to respond to an attack.

5.  Utilization of the correct angle of entry into the attack.

6. Take the next step, use that next step from the kata to accompany the first movement.

   (this gets into the theory behind defining what a technique it)

7. Understand that the direction a strike enters the body yields different results.

8. Using the least amount of force to complete the elimination of the attack.

9.  Consideration of the vital point striking theories.

 

 Of course this list is not complete. They can be applied alone or in combination with others.

 

There are many layers which can work, abet differently. Not one perfect answer.

 

Isshinryu has evolved into many different layers of study. That is reality, but all of them can also become effective. That becomes the role of the instructor to take what level of training that is offered, depending on circumstances, and crafting the students ability to make it always work.

 

No matter that what is chosen does not work the same manner as the other choices.

 

Several related posts from my blog:


 



  

And then there are the vital points to consider:


 

 

 

 

No comments: