Saturday, December 29, 2018

Saifa a study

When I began competing at open tournaments in Pennsylcania I saw Goju being performed, I never tried to remember it, I just remembered how sharp and precise the students of Ron Martin were, and I knew he was a student of Chuck Merriman.

 

Then about 1983 a student of mine (a yellow belt ) began to attend Ithica College and as she was a former diving students of my wife’s swim coaching days, she stayed in contact. She told us there was a Goju karate program at Ithica and that she joined it. When she returned home at Winter break, and for Summer, she returned to train with us. I became aware of how she progressed through that progam. Then one day she invited me to come and watch her train, and I did that. Drove up to Ithica, which was 2 hours from Scranton, to watch that program.

 

The instructor was Ed Savage. What was unusual because I was there he left his students to conduct their own training, instead spending the day with me. From the corner of my eye I saw my first Goju Hondo Undo training. He and I talked, then I showed my Isshinryu Seiunchin and he showed me his Goju Seiunchin. After that he insisted I learn his Saifa kata. We spent the remaining class time on that form.

 

And showing anything new, I continued to practice it.

 

The next summer Cindy heard that Ed was having a summer training session outside along one the lakes outside of Ithica, and she asked me if I would like to come along.

 

I did and again Ed ignored the students to conduct their own training. Instead he showed me how to do, Shiochin and Sansriryu kata. Even giving me some text printouts of Saifa, Seiunchin, Shiochin and Sanseiryu. Of course that meant I really knew next to nothing,

 

As the years passed I visited other Goju dojo, and when requested (possibly because they wanted to have some fun with me, I jumped into the kata being done, frequently Saifa. And they were surprised that I was able to follow along.

 

Of course all of those versions were different versions. I just did what that school did. Never attempting to keep to one pure version. I practiced what I am sure became a mutated version of Saifa.

 

I picked up an early Panther VHS of a Japanese instructor covering Saifa.

 

Then when in Derry, a local Goju school rented the Boys and Girls Club to hold a seminar with  Chinen Sensei, where among many other things he covered all his kata. His  Saifa was done to, again different from what I had learned. (irrelevant aside, the Goju school who had brought him in, after he departed, their students were told not to practice their kata that way,  but of course that is another story.)

 

Now this was way before the internet, very few sources for any Goju information back then except for the magazines. It was not very clear what Goju organizations there were.

 

Shortly thereafter I added supplemental mandatory training to my kyu progam. Those form studies were

Fyugata Sho Shorin,
Annaku Shorin,
Saifa Goju,
Nijushiho Shotokan and
Supple Dragon Pai Lum.


There were a number of reasons for this occurring.

 
1. I  wanted to honor my friends who shared with me.
2. I wanted to slow down the course for instruction for the youth I was teaching.
3. I wanted all of my students to touch a piece of those systems, thus with some knowledge of what others studied they might be a touch more comfortable should the day come when ever they might face them.

 
There was much more behind my decisions but these are sufficient for now,.
 

So in the case of Saifa I was no longer sure which version I was doing, and of course I didn’t care which if any tradition it followed. That I had a version was sufficient for me, and that in turn was what I taught. This would be about 1987 or so.
 

Of course over the decades I taught this Saifa, and studied it, the more I became to appreciate it Then when I went further into my Isshinryu application studies, I found many reasons why I appreciated it even more.

 
I never sought out more Goju training. That was not my purpose.

 
I came, I saw and I guess I conquered, whatever that means.

 
I am sure somewhere in my notebooks that scan of saifa is there. Somewhere. Someday it might show up. Perhaps it would be interesting to see how far I varied what I was originally shown. Perhaps in time.

 

So here is mine.

 

 

 

No comments: