Saturday, October 5, 2019

A shot to the Forehead


 

 
Not exactly what I am talking about but suggests the idea.

 

I am now reflecting on how I came to learn about the potential of a shot to the forehead.

 

As I remember it, this was not something in which I was originally trained. Years later with an instructor in a different style I was introduced to this possibility.

 

He was demonstrating a set of techniques when as his student stepped with his right foot to attack, he stepped forward with his right foot and at the same time nailed his student in the center of his forehead with an upward glancing shuto strike, after which that hand descended to do a whole lot of other things.

 

As it was explained to me, the upward shuto was used as a destabilizing strike to stop the opponent and then allow other things to take place. I realized it worked, and it was just a glancing upward strike, not a KO (This could also be a glancing upward palm heel strike).

 

Later I came to realize the point being struck was also known as the ‘Third eye’.

 


 

Now I did not make it a practice of striking my students in their head. But I did place that technique in my personal repertoire.

 

Years later I saw a Northern Eagle Claw instructor strike that same spot, abet with a very unique hand formation, This was an Eagle Claw snake strike, and what I remember it was being used the same way. Not as a ko strike rather as a destabilizing strike with other things to follow.

Ernest Rothrock taught me that hand position, it took me over a week to get comfortable forming it. Of course I did not receive the training to utilize it. I but imagine how difficult that would be.

 

I am not a connect the dots person to ko anyone, but I also recognized another explanation from Ernest Rothtock’s T’ai Chi training, that point was one of the keys used to create better body alignment in everything. That was where a series of body points focused correctly, would act as a force enhancer behind any technique.

 

Hence use of the third eye for a destabilizing strike, would also shift the individual into poorer body alignment, making it easier to attack them. Of course the same might be said for any of the other alignment points being lightly struck during an exchange. The point itself was not magical, just a place to create an opening to exploit.

 
An example of the Eagle Claw Snake Strike by Lilly Lau, 
but not to the location being discussed.


 

 

No comments: