Monday, February 3, 2020

Mefutode a most personal understanding





When I was training with Tristan Sutrisno one day he showed me something different I had not seen before. He started doing his kata applications without using chambers. Just leading with both hands out in front he would explode into an attack and use his answers to blow through those attacks.

 

He explained while chambering was used up to 2nd dan, beginning at 3rd dan there were many changes to how his family karate was practiced from that point in time. An instructor would be the exception. Where use of chambering was extremely important up to that level of training, working to build the bodies capabilities. There came a time where that was set aside for increased reaction time. Not to be done earlier so as not to stop the proper internal development of a student (beginner through 2nd dan). Not to be attempted as a short cut (for there are none in proper development) but something to begin at the right level of training.

 

Then the use of chambering in bunkai or kumite would be left behind, instead the hands would from into position from where ever they were at that time. This created faster and faster response.

 

He shared some of this with me, I was made to understand overall the changes that occurred at 3rd dan. But of course understanding is one thing, receiving that training in detail is something else altogether, And  I did not receive that. But seeing it in action was extremely impressive. I don’t know all the answers but was well aware of what that did mean.

 
 

While personally I understood what he was sharing, I also recognized there were systems with completely divergent answers that could also work to completion. That was one of the mysteries in my studies.

 

For myself I chose different answers. Yet I could not deny what he had shared worked very well for him.

 

Several decades later I read Motobu Choki on Mefutode.

 


 

While interesting just reading several short paragraphs did not mean I understood what I was reading.

 

As I had discovered reading anything often took at least 5 or more years before a glimmer of understanding would be gained. In this case it was considerably longer.

 

I remember discussing a related concept with a friend in Goju, not the same thing but in similarities.

 

Then today I had a flash and drew the connection between Sutrisno Tristan’s training and Motobu Choiki’s words.

 

I may be that some understanding arrives late, yet one is grateful it arrives at all.

No comments: