Tuesday, June 9, 2020

A Day in the Life



 
 

I believe information should be freely shared, providing there is access to that information.

 

1.     For several prior days I had been working on a series of blog posts from an interview with Kinjo Hiroshi, who I find a fascinating person. I had run across those quotes from an earlier article saved in my files, Reading them now after so much time they took on greater relevance. So I prepared some blog posts on Kinjo. https://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2020/06/hints-from-one-who-walked-walk-1.html

  

     The one for this morning was on his experience from the changes of kata        execution.

 
 

2.     Then serendipity intervened and on this morning first I noticed in my history of daily Facebook posts a translation I had done on the Motobu Ryu site about Motobu Ippon Kumite back in 2016. But instinct took over and I searched the site  to find last year they presented their own English translation of that post. https://ameblo.jp/motoburyu/entry-12591751418.html?fbclid=IwAR2_3-0wDTClJ8tHhYT2NrCpSiFW2LqlOWI1TTr9A7Zbfwa-o0KQwpua0YI

 
Reading it gave me reason to look into YouTube and I found a YouTube video that was very similar to the same material.
 


 
Motobu Ryu Secret teachings . Motobu Ryu Moidi Shiroma Ha .



3.      But my day did not stop there for Joe Swift posted a YouTube link  for an Okinawan folk tales video. It was all in Japanese. But a little work and I discovered there was an English translation of part of that video. For it was about  Chan-Migwa (Kyan Motobu), not about his karate but legends that were told about the man.  http://okic.okinawa/en/archives/news/p4192?fbclid=IwAR0N0Lzj7DAcC2Vdeuzo_H7SxQAGN5cdYp-zy-ZXKK36fwowejPKQVfSb48

  

4.     Of course it did not end there for I also discovered a posting on FaceBook by Mark Bishop about Senior Okinawan instructors who were also ‘Kaminchu”. Which in a very real sense ties back into Shimabuku Tatsuo.

 
I shared all of this across various FaceBook discussion groups.

  

As I have found since I began participating in Internet discussion groups, none of which gained much discussion. But I feel better people at least had the privilege to see all of this and reflect on what they may have read.

  

Then there is the other side to me, what I privately share with my own students. Much of my personal analysis of many things, really only relevant to those who spent decades with me. More to contemplate and perhaps use. The choice is theirs.

 

I really am no longer sensei for none come to train with me

 

I am engaged with my own long term studies at best. The more I learn the less I know. There is not one answer, one size fits all.  Most often divergent ideas are extremely workable. The idea is not to try and do everything. Rather to understand what is out there and to work out how to disrupt that.

 

And this was a slow day.

No comments: