Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Hints from one who walked the walk 2


 

I was just reading an article from the HUE Journal of Humanities, Social and Natural Sciences, Vol. 22 No. 2, September 2019. It was titled ‘Talking with the Senior Practitioners of the Martial Arts: Hiroshi Kinjo’ ,written by Masatosho Taya and translated by Mark Tankosich.

 

From the Outside Inward” and “Toride

 

Kingo feels that with Sensei Hanashiro’s guidance his eyes were open with regard to karate. After that he pursued his training independently.

 

“I felt that maybe I had finally begun to grasp the whole picture with karate. I wasn’t sure, but I kind of vaguely thought, ‘There are stages.’

 

First, in all cases you block the opponent’s punch in whatever way, without thought. Then you sweep it (it away).  All such sweeps in karate are from the outside inward. You always sweep [the opponents’ limb] in such a way that you’re on his outside.  After sweeping you seize. And then, after you’ve seized, you apply a joint reversal technique. The use of such techniques is called toride.

 

“This is the complete process of karate.”

 

I find this an interesting explanation. I had worked up my own analysis of what a complete karate technique was back in 1980.

 

I referred to it as my unlocking principle:

 

I called it the Unlocking Principle for me. Basically it stated that for any movement a block/strike could have a strike following and whichever combination was used resulted in a downing of the opponent (explosive striking, locking or takedown).

 

Apparently we saw such in similar lights.

 

Or as James Bond would put it 1) Happenstance 2) coincidence 3) Enemy Action.

 

But I don’t wait to make light of this, just show that there is a similarity to my own studies.
 

 

For more reading on Hiroshi see this link by Andreas Quast


 





 

No comments: