Sunday, February 14, 2021

Morio Higaonna Goju Grappling Techniques

 



 Just saw this video loaded into Facebook So I took screenshots of the grappling techniques Hiagonna used.

 

 

The first section are what I learned in 1982 When I studied the Eagle Claw from Hon Kuen.

 

 

The finger locks I learned as Maureen Practiced them on me after her Chin Na classes with Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming

 

All of them work.

 

 

 

Now what is most interesting in not that I have had experience with all of these techniques from the experiences I have had in the Chinese Arts, rather being able to recognize that they are not just ending techniques but more that they are employed as force enhancers when used with other motion to make the attacker respond more quickly to your response. They employ the use of specific pain to move that attacker into the control or ending control that you want.

 

IMO too often their use is under looked.

 

Back in 1984 Tris Sutrisno at a summer camp began to show the locations of pressure point beginning with the hand and then slowly moving up the arm. After a while when he reached the shoulder he turned to Ernie Rothrock and asked him to take over. Ernie did and kept moving along. This was at a time I knew so little about these uses. But the most telling thing was I could see no difference between Tris’s karate perspective and then Ernie’s Chinese perspective. One started and then one finished with no appreciable difference to what was being shown.

 

Several years later I started buying the books on Chin Na of Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming and he covered much the same material.

 

That made me realize what I actually got from Ernie from the study of the Eagle Claw form Hon Kuen. When I studied it, I was merely focusing on the execution of various forms, not so much on those technique uses. But those books began to make me realize more and more.

 

A few years later I showed Tris the book of Dr. Yang on T’ai Chi Chin Na, and he was so surprised to see everything his father had taught him, for he then proceeded to randomly show me example  after example of what was in that book.

 

Several years after that Ernie visiting me, began showing my students in clinic, many of the actual uses of what I had studied just with form with him. It was much through some of the 2 person drill he was taught and in turn taught to his students.

 

Well I guess by now you realize I turn everything into a longer narrative.











































 

 

 

 

 

No comments: