Monday, February 8, 2021

That Was the Year that Was Last Year --- Feb 2020 - Feb 2021

 


 

I thought I might be useful to work up some statistics about how I spent my last year Since February 2020. You have to know where you have been to work out where you are going.

 

A friend, Jim Keenan, collected some posts from my blog and published the book Isshin – Writings on Martial Arts and Life, because he felt I had done something unique and felt it should be preserved by a book.

 

I have kept up making posts on my blog – 225 of them for the year. Their primary purpose is saving studies for my students and much other information I never had time inc lass to share with them, my personal studies.

 

I have always shared more personal studies and like with my students privately. Years ago I began sending these collections to them under the title Pleasant Isshinryu. Last year there were editions from 99 to 185 over the past 12 months or 187 editions averaging between 60 and 75 pages.

 

Then Larger bit of information I placed in .pdf form for them. There were 30 of them over the past year.

 

Most personal effort remains finding new application potentials for the Isshinryu kata. I have made strides in he last year, for example:

 

Last Saturday afternoon while watching several PBS shows I have seen before and always enjoyed. Having recorded them I fast forwarded through the parts I knew too well and really were filler not advancing the story.

 

Then my mind started working on an application for the 2nd row of Seisan kata, one I don’t believe I ever did before. My answer worked right interior, right exterior, left interior and left exterior. That left me thinking rather well about myself.

 

I realized then that my answer was a variation of how I suggested for mawashi-uke. The same answer working for a different technique. The working point was the way each application fractal can be applied.

 

Everything old is new again.

 

Wonder what is ahead for the next year, for there is sure more to come.


No comments: